Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Adjusting Deck--Murray 52"

06-25-07, 07:18 PM   #1  
Adjusting Deck--Murray 52"

I have a 20 HP 52" Murray that I believe is a 50568X9A built in 1998. I inherited it with a house I bought. The mower has been abused quite a bit, and I've been trying to put it back together correctly.

The problem I'm having is adjusting the deck level. I see on the cut height adjusting lever a position below #1 that is supposed to be used to level the deck. Also, the two deck adjustment points on the rear of the deck had been disconnected. I re-connected them. Could anybody tell me the correct procedure to adjust the deck?

I said that I believe I have the correct model number. The label under the seat is missing, but on the Murray site it indicates that they only made this size mower for 2 years---1998 and 2001. The 2001 deck is a little different than mine, but the 98 appears to be identical to it.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-25-07, 11:56 PM   #2  
Put the mower on level ground (like a garage floor) with correct pressures in all tires and let the deck down all the way (below #1). Loosen the back adjusters, wiggle the deck around, let everything fall into place naturally in this position, then tighten the adjusters and raise it back up. The deck should now be level.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

06-26-07, 02:05 AM   #3  
Just two notes to add to Cheese's instructions: 1- The anti-scalp wheels on the deck must be removed before you make any leveling adjustment. 2- The two adjusters should have a carriage bolt and wingnut setup using 3/8" hardware, have you installed this setup? This will aid in your making the adjustment but can be made with bolt and nut setup, it's just easier with the wingnut setup.

06-26-07, 06:05 PM   #4  
A couple more questions

Thanks for the info.....How much air should I put in the tires?? Should I just look what's printed on the tires?

How big should the anti-scalp tires be?? The previous owner put 7" wheels on it, disconnected the leveling links and used it with the anti-scalp tires supporting the deck 100%. Of course, now they have it rough when you turn the mower sharp.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-27-07, 12:27 AM   #5  
Yup, look at the tires for reccomended pressures. Probably 14 front, and 10 rear. The correct guage wheels for the deck are pretty close to 4".

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

06-27-07, 02:39 AM   #6  
I'd recommend purchasing the correct OE parts through a Briggs & Stratton/Murray dealer to get this back to factory condition.

Search this Thread