Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

MTD snowblower wheels won't turn.

SC

06-27-07, 08:51 AM   #1  
MTD snowblower wheels won't turn.

I know it's 99 degrees outside , but it's got to fixed sometime. I was just trying to move it in the dry shed where it is stored and the wheels will not turn forward or backward no matter what setting the shifter is in. It is a 600 series , 8 HP , 26 ". model . This happened the first year when it was under warranty and was repaired along with the starter. The age now is 2 1/2 years old and not in warranty. I always remove the snow when it is put away after use and I see no external places to oil or grease. Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks , w.s.

Sponsored Links

NY

06-27-07, 09:02 AM   #2  
I don't know about this specific model, but do the rims use keys to mount on the axle? Even if just one is missing, the differential won't let the other wheel turn.

NY

06-27-07, 06:31 PM   #3  
No keys in these axles, the wheels are secured to the axle by way of lynch pins. The areas of possible trouble are: Axle rusted to the axle bushings; Jackshaft (hexagon in shape) bearings rusted/seized; Drive plate return spring broken and the plate is in just the right position and engaging the rubber drive disc thereby preventing the wheel from turning; Or, the trunion bearing (which is an integral part of the rubber drive disc) is rusted/seized. If you need to have a look into the drive train you can remove the bottom pan by way of six screws.

SC

06-28-07, 06:45 AM   #4  
Thanks

Thanks for your help. I will look at those areas for the problem. I have the manual for removing belts , covers etc. Will report back here with findings as soon as I have time to get at it. w.s.

Search this Thread