Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Push Mower Want Stay Running

06-27-07, 05:24 PM   #1  

I have a yardman 6.75 tecumseh engine sitting on a 21 deck. I can use the primer bulb and fire it right up. Then it will shut down after 2 seconds. I know its the carb. All the linkages and springs are fine. I pulled off the bottom of the carb and made sure the float wasn't stuck. It seems to be fine. Again not sure what else to do other than pull it off and tear it down. But again, theres nothing to it so what the heck. Thanks a million for any advise.

Mike

Sponsored Links

06-27-07, 05:29 PM   #2  
You got a fuel filter on that puppy?? Nuff said...

NY

06-27-07, 05:47 PM   #3  
It may appear as though there's nothing to it but there's plenty to it as with all carburetors. Perhaps you can be so lucky that the main jet, which is the bowl nut, is plugged. Without the engine ID numbers I'll talk in general terms. Pull the jet back out and you'll see at least three holes with one being barely visible unless you look very closely. Using a fine wire instrument, clean out the holes but don't bore them oversize with whatever it is you use. Try this first and if no improvement is noticed then post back with the engine ID numbers and we'll make further suggestions.

06-28-07, 10:59 AM   #4  
Also try a new air filter. Those old Eager Ones would act up if the air filter was dirty.

NY

06-28-07, 06:05 PM   #5  
He has a fuel starvation issue and a plugged/filthy air filter would only help him, not hinder the running in such a situation.

06-29-07, 08:38 AM   #6  
Carburetor On Mtd

I see no fuel filter.

I will use a fine wire and see what happens.

What about the choke? How does this work? Is it by air from the intake?

Mike

MO

06-29-07, 09:02 AM   #7  
Usually the wire from the center of a twist tie is the proper size, also get a can of carb spray cleaner and clean out any holes, carcks and crevases you can see, your problem will be solved. Have a good one. Geo

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

06-29-07, 09:05 AM   #8  
Your primer bulb is in lieu of a choke.

06-30-07, 10:57 AM   #9  

Thanks for all the replys guys. I will get the fine wire and the can of carb cleaner. Stay tuned.

I guess the choke has nothing to do with it. I did replace the primer bulb along with new fuel lines yesterday. Chock seems to work fine.

Mike

NY

07-02-07, 02:43 AM   #10  
"In lieu of" means instead of. In other words, any fuel system (four-stroke) that has a primer bulb will not have a choke. Perhaps you are looking at the throttle shaft and thinking it is the choke.

07-05-07, 07:00 AM   #11  
Posted By: puey61 "In lieu of" means instead of. In other words, any fuel system (four-stroke) that has a primer bulb will not have a choke. Perhaps you are looking at the throttle shaft and thinking it is the choke.
Your are correct. It is the throttle. Its a set throttle.

Mike

Search this Thread