Murray 14.5 starter/solenoid?

Old 06-28-07, 07:15 AM
Murray 14.5 starter/solenoid?

A neighbor has a Murray 14.5hp riding lawn mower that won't start. He asked me to help. I turned the key and just heard a clunk. I turned the engine over via pulling on the v belt and then it started with the key. A week or so later, same thing. The next week it wouldn't start.

He doesn't have enougth strength to pull the belt himself so we need to fix it.

My guess is that the solenoid needs to be replaced. Am I correct?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-07, 10:30 AM
Many possibilities but if its like the briggs 14.5 I had and have read many posts here you need to check your oil. My first thought is he has gas in the oil.
When you turn the key and hear the clunk does the starter gear even try to engage the ring gear?

Old 06-28-07, 10:32 AM
The problem very well may be with the starter bendix or the flywheel gear. There are repair kits available for both. You will need to pull the engine cove off. Check the flywheel gear for broken teeth and check the bendix gear also. I think, because the thing will start if you pull on the belt ton turn the engine, that the problem is not the solenoid.

Old 06-28-07, 12:50 PM
When we try to start it, it clicks, does not spin the flywheel. Batter is new and charged. It's like the teeth aren't meshing or the engine is binding.

Old 06-28-07, 03:53 PM
If the starter gear is meshing and making contact with the ring gear the solenoid and assembly should be ok. If yours was like mine you can take a cover off the bendix housing thingy and see the gear and its action to verify it is doing what it is supposed to be doing.
I'm still betting you have fuel getting past the needle/seat into the crankcase just because when mine did this I could spin the top of the engine past compression to give it enough 'free spin' to allow the starter to work. I think that is what you are doing when you say you 'turned the engine over via pulling on the v-belt'.
Check the oil.
Is there any smoke coming from the engine?

Last edited by duigoose; 06-28-07 at 03:55 PM. Reason: forgot to ask question
Old 06-28-07, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by duigoose View Post
If the starter gear is meshing and making contact with the ring gear the solenoid and assembly should be ok. If yours was like mine you can take a cover off the bendix housing thingy and see the gear and its action to verify it is doing what it is supposed to be doing.
I'm still betting you have fuel getting past the needle/seat into the crankcase just because when mine did this I could spin the top of the engine past compression to give it enough 'free spin' to allow the starter to work. I think that is what you are doing when you say you 'turned the engine over via pulling on the v-belt'.
Check the oil.
Is there any smoke coming from the engine?

Thanks, that makes sense. We'll check that tomorrow.

Old 06-28-07, 05:54 PM
Be sure the battery cables (three total) are in good shape and that each end (terminal - six total) are corrosion free. If, as goose suggested, you have fuel in the oil then you will need to remove and properly recondition the carbuetor as this will be the source of the problem. Another possibility is a faulty MCR (mechanical compression release) which is integral to the camshaft and, by design, lifts a valve open momentarily during startup to relieve combustion chamber pressure in order to assist the starter motor in powering past compression, assuming that the 14 1/2 horse you have is a Briggs overhead valve engine.

Old 06-28-07, 10:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Loose valve clearances will also render the compression release useless, and cause the engine to be hard to turn, so check the clearances if you don't find gas in the crankcase.

Old 06-29-07, 01:05 PM
I took the cover off the starter/flywheel and saw that the nylon teeth of the starter were knocked off. Does he need to replace starter/bendix or just the gear. Is the kit mentioned earlier? Do you think this is the trouble or is high compression the cause?
Thanks again!

Old 06-30-07, 12:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Usually just the gear needs to be replaced, but only inspection of the bendix will tell. Does the starter turn, or engage when the key is turned?

Old 06-30-07, 02:18 AM
Post back with the engine ID numbers as well as the chassis ID numbers!

Old 06-30-07, 08:00 AM
Thumbs up

We replaced the the gear and it starts great.
Thanks for your help.

Old 06-30-07, 10:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it! Thanks for the update!