Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Snowthrower suggestions

MD

06-28-07, 11:34 AM   #1  
Snowthrower suggestions

I am looking to purchase a snowthrower for the upcoming winter. I have a 200 ft driveway that is about 10 feet wide and uphill. Through my browsing, it seems the choices are Husqvarna, Troybilt, Craftsman, and Toro. THe Toro is the most expensive and maybe a little higher than I wanted but are they worth the extra money? How is the quality on the other 3?

Im looking for 26-28" clearing width. Not sure about horsepower.

Sponsored Links

06-28-07, 04:10 PM   #2  
Posted By: jreed I am looking to purchase a snowthrower for the upcoming winter. I have a 200 ft driveway that is about 10 feet wide and uphill. Through my browsing, it seems the choices are Husqvarna, Troybilt, Craftsman, and Toro. THe Toro is the most expensive and maybe a little higher than I wanted but are they worth the extra money? How is the quality on the other 3?

Im looking for 26-28" clearing width. Not sure about horsepower.
I have a Toro.

I would now buy Buy Craftsman however (believe both are made by MTD, but Sears stands behind their products better and you will have parts avaliable in future years.)

What to look for: ease of maintanence, esp changing belts. Buy tire chains, you WILL need them. I like Tecumseh for ease of starting in winter.

NY

06-28-07, 05:26 PM   #3  
My order of purchase would be Toro then Craftsman then Troy-Bilt then Husqvarna but I wouldn't even consider the Husqvarna, personally. However, if you add Ariens to your mix then I'd put this on top of the list. Depending on your budget, ideally, you should purchase your new thrower at an independent dealer. The box stores cannot stock the top level Toro's and Ariens' machines by agreement with the manufacturers and though the Toro or Ariens you buy at box stores are good machines, they're not the best of the brand. A major factor in what you buy is for which manufacturer(s) you have local, independent, small business service shops. Some day you will need parts and possibly professional service and perhaps warranty service and you should buy the brand for which you have a local dealer to turn to for parts and service.

PA

06-29-07, 05:37 AM   #4  
I'd highly recommend the Ariens and Simplicity brands. Both are excellent machines. If your pockets are deep enough, Honda makes one of the very best snowblowers out there, but they cost a lot of money.

MD

06-29-07, 01:47 PM   #5  
Great info, thanks everyone. I am looking at the Craftsman 9HP 28" clearing width model. Now, should i consider a track drive?

NY

06-30-07, 02:25 AM   #6  
If you are handy and consider yourself to be a DIY'er then you can consider it. Track drive models have numerous moving parts that need lubricating frequently and, by all rights, you should disassemble each track assembly before its first use and coat each moving part with anti-seize lubricant. My opinion is that a wheel driven unit is more useful and less complicated than the trackers. If you have the budget, I recommend an Ariens with a differential drive.

MD

07-02-07, 07:31 AM   #7  
Sounds like i am better off with the wheeled version. Thanks everyone for the great input!

Search this Thread