Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

B&S Bushing/Seal removal

MO

06-28-07, 12:09 PM   #1  
B&S Bushing/Seal removal

Can someone tell me how to remove the magneto side bushing/seal on a B&S 6hp: Mod: 12H807 Typ: 1756 Cde: 98020457. It is part number 399269. Thank you very much and have a good one. Geo

Sponsored Links

NY

06-28-07, 06:03 PM   #2  
First remove the seal using a seal removal tool (Tecumseh makes very nice ones), strip the engine down to the bone, use a bearing/bushing driver (again, Tecumseh has good such tools) to remove the bushing in a press, use the opposite end of the driver tool and press in the new bushing, install the new seal using a seal driver (Tecumseh again), reassemble the engine. Are you sure you need to replace the bushing? If so, why? Are you sure you simply don't need to merely replace the seal? If so, this can be done without any major disassembly. Let us know.

MO

06-28-07, 06:23 PM   #3  
puey61; I received this mower,wouldn't run, normal problems. However, when I had it running I was hearing a knock so I started checking, after removing stuff down to the flywheel it was the flywheel bouncing between the alternator(electric start) and the magneto contacts, I removed the flywheel and was amazed at the amount of "play" in the crankshaft, there are no leaks on either end, top or bottom. I'm not going to disassemble the motor, I will pass it along to someone to rebuild, I thought if I could pull the old and put in a new it would be worth while. Thanks and have a good one. Geo

NY

06-29-07, 02:47 AM   #4  
Something to keep in mind, if you have this much wear at the magneto end crank bushing you most likely have other internal wear. Any wear to the top end bushing will have been a result of a lack of oil lubrication which means that other areas such as the crankpin and connecting rod and piston and cylinder most likely were affected by the low oil situation as well.

Search this Thread