champion battery dead already

Old 06-29-07, 09:24 AM
Thumbs down champion battery dead already

I got this lawn & garden champion U1-3 300CCA battery from sams club and a few months after getting it it died & they did replace it, but the replacement died too. Its out of warranty period of course. Did anyone else have similar problems with batteries from that place? Are they selling lower quality batteries?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-07, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
You might want to check that whatever you are using it on is properly charging the battery.

Too low a charge will leave it dead but too high will cook it.

Old 06-29-07, 11:18 AM
Question

Thanks.

I already checked the charging system on the lawn tractor.

It is these champion batteries.

Glad I did not renew the membership to that place..

Any advice on decent places to shop for a lawn and garden battery that will last?

Old 06-30-07, 01:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
There are several good ones, but one that is easy to find in most towns is an autocraft battery from advance auto parts. I've seen their better ones (365 cranking amps) several years old, and still working well. 2 years seems to be about par for most lawn mower batteries in general.

Old 06-30-07, 02:15 AM
What, exactly was the DC output from the regulator? What, exactly was the AC output from the stator? Did either show any spiking or otherwise not show a steady output at the 3600 RPM that you tested each at? I've been selling the Champion brand batteries in the motorcycle size for the last three years which I believe are actually manufactured by Exide which is a reputable company and have not once had a return for one that was not related to a charging system malfunction. Our battery supplier always freshens up our battery stock at least bi-monthly so as to ensure we don't sell a weak battery to a customer. I wonder if you just got a bad batch from this store, if you, indeed, have a good charging system, that is.