Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

craftsman lawn tractor choke sticks

06-30-07, 09:08 AM   #1  
craftsman lawn tractor choke sticks

My first post: When I advance the choke lever on my mower, (B&S 18HP OHV -model # 31H777) to start it, the U-shaped push wire no longer retracts causing the engine to sputter and flood out. I have tried cleaning all external moving parts but no help. This is the exact same problem I had with a previous Sears lawn tractor which I sold without ever solving the problem.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links

AL

06-30-07, 11:26 AM   #2  
check the throttle plate.sounds like the throttle cable has just slid out of adjustment.Losen the 5/16 bolt that holds the throttle clamp-put choke lever to choke-pull/push throttle cable till choke linkage opens the choke butterfly.Then while holding the throttle in place,tighten the 5/16 bolt.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-30-07, 10:25 PM   #3  
The choke shaft is probably black plastic on your carb, right? If so, pull the choke butterfly out (just grip it with pliers and pull gently until it frees from the shaft), then you can pull the shaft out of the carb. Note the return spring, and how it attatches so you can reattatch it when you reassemble it. Now, you can replace this shaft, or you can take a new razor blade and scrape the shaft where it fits in the carb. The surfaces where the carb and the shaft touch get rough, and cause the choke to stick. When you scrape this rough off enough, it will work properly again. Don't scrape enough material to cause an air leak...just enough to allow free movement.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

07-01-07, 03:02 PM   #4  
Mr. Cheese: your solution worked perfectly. Thanks so much.

W.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-01-07, 08:55 PM   #5  
Glad to help! Thanks for the update!

God bless!

GA

07-24-11, 04:56 AM   #6  
sears craftsman riding mower trottle sticking

We bought a 2004, 20 horse kohlor engine riding mower from a friend & I cut the grass one time. The trottle cable was already tight to pull out & push back in but after cutting the grass & then spraying all of the grass off the mower & cleaning it back up I was going to move it in our shed but the cable is sticking when I try to choke it. What can I do?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-24-11, 11:18 AM   #7  
Spray the cable at both ends with pblaster and work with it. If you get it to move, keep spraying it and working it until it frees up, or replace the cable.

God bless!

AZ

07-26-11, 08:39 PM   #8  
My Sears Briggs engine choke also started sticking closed after a year, and engine would stall. I installed a 10 cent spring after drilling a small hole in the plastic housing, and there already was a hole in the choke shaft !!!

Search this Thread