Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Replace snapper RER rear axle.

06-30-07, 10:55 AM   #1  
Replace snapper RER rear axle.

I needed to replace the axle boots on my 10 yr old rer but kept putting it off. It got to where it wouldn't go in reverse so I had to do something. The other day I took it in and had a man replace the boots and tune it up. When he had it apart he called and said the axle had a groove worn in it right where it went through the fender. The top of the axle bearing had blown out and the axle had been rubbing against the fender and cut a groove in the axle. He said it was my call whether or not to replace the axle when he replaced the bearing and boots but he thought it would be ok. It was several hundred dollars more to do this and I opted not to. He said the groove was right where the new axle bearing would be and should support it some but would not guarantee that it would not twist off from torque. Well, that's exactly what happened. Now I have to replace the axle. Both hubs should be easy to remove since that had just been done. (If you remember, that was my problem last time--I couldn't get the left hub off). Can someone walk me through the axle replacement? I think I can do this since the hubs have just been off the mower with the boot replacement. Thanks so much in advance.

Sponsored Links

TX

06-30-07, 04:12 PM   #2  
Service Manual

You can go to the Snapper website at www.snapper.com.

Click on the publications link on the upper right side of the page and you can download a service manual for your Rear Engine Rider. This will give you a detailed step by step service procedure for servicing the drive train with illustrations.

Best of Luck...

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-30-07, 10:13 PM   #3  
A step by step procedure would be a long, drawn out pagefull. You'll have to disassemble the gearcase and change the axle from there. Get yourself a new axle, new gearcase gasket, a quart of "00" grease, and axle seals for both sides. You may need other parts, only inspection will tell. Pay attention to where parts came from, and how it comes apart so you can put it back together right. A digital camera might come in handy, but if you're mechanically inclined it's not a big challenge.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread