Lawn tractor won't stay running............

Old 06-30-07, 01:37 PM
Question Lawn tractor won't stay running............

We have a John deer lt133.

Engine runs great, but now when you try to engage the blades or let the brake/clutch pedal out to run, the engine dies.

I think it's some sort of sensor, because it's just like if i were to lift off the seat or put it in reverse without pushing that button.

I need to mow soooooooo bad it is frustrating me.

Thanks in advance!!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-07, 05:38 PM
Check the safety switch under the seat, sounds like it's not working.

Old 06-30-07, 05:39 PM
Sure sounds to me like you are on the right track with your third sentence. Possibly a safety switch gone bad or some grounding but you could pull the ground wire from the coil I reckon to see or check all your switches. Hang in here and folks that know how to look up diagrams and what not will have better advice.

Old 06-30-07, 10:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like the seat switch to me too. Try pushing the connector on tighter.

Old 07-01-07, 05:58 AM
I'm not sure how...

to check that connection. But am eager to learn if anyone can tell me how!

Thanks Cheese!

Old 07-01-07, 11:04 AM
Question OK I'm wingin it! First.......

I lifted the seat, and unplugged the harness. I unplugged the seat, and then pushed it back in. I then checked the connection with the wiring harness, made sure it wasn't rusted or corroded, and plugged it back in. Didn't help. I tried to trace the wires, but i can only go so far, so I'm not sure where it connects. But I do see these 4 box looking plugs, possible fuses. Does it go there, and if those are fuses, can I check if they're blown? Thanks!

Old 07-01-07, 09:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hey, you're at the next place I was gonna send you to. Those black boxes are relays. One of these is switched by the seat switch, and shuts the engine down when the blade is turned on or the clutch pedal is released if no-one is on the seat. If this relay is bad, it could cause your problem. All 4 of them are the same as I recall, so you can test each one (not easy if you don't know how they work), or you can buy a new one and put it in place of one of them. If it doesn't fix it, move it to a different spot until you find the one that fixes it, or you've put the new one in all spots with no change. If you do this and it doesn't fix the problem, you probably have a wiring issue, which isn't very likely.

Old 07-02-07, 02:12 PM
Unhappy OK now...............

All the relays are good. I bypassed the safety switch, still happening.

I looked at where the clutch releases and the blades engage. Both have safety buttone. They also both seem to go to the solenoid, which I have been having to jump. Can a bad solenoid keep killing it when i try to engage it?

I have done it before, and it worked, but this one seems to not be letting me now.

Thanks!

Old 07-02-07, 05:50 PM
I can't locate a true schematic for your model mower so it will be difficult to advise you well. But, the switch for the clutch should only affect the starting circuit not the ignition. The blade engagement switch, however, should be within the ignition circuit and could be to blame along with the seat switch and the reverse mowing switch. The, aforementioned, clutch switch as well as the neutral start switch and the blade engagement (should have both circuits passing through it) should all be related to the ignition circuit and all need to be systematically evaluated for proper operation.

Old 07-04-07, 11:57 AM
Wink Well for now!!!

I took some Gorilla duct tape and taped down the safety button at the clutch pedal and blade engagement arm, and my yard is mowed!!!!!!!

Guess I will have to fix this though. Sooner than later!