engine for log spliter

Old 06-30-07, 02:13 PM
cf1
Red face engine for log spliter

i have an old home made log spliter i use to split wood. the piston wont come up.. i figure its the rod.. the engine is a tecumseh.. its the old cast.. i cant find a number on it.. i need to know what the hp is so i can replace it.. its a side shaft.. any help.. thanks..

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-07, 10:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Look on the side of the engine blower housing for ID numbers stamped into it. Without numbers, it will be hard for anyone here to tell what you have.

Old 07-01-07, 11:51 AM
cf1
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
Look on the side of the engine blower housing for ID numbers stamped into it. Without numbers, it will be hard for anyone here to tell what you have.
thanks chesse.. later i will look, and let you know i need it runing im have a lot of wood to split for winter..thanks

Old 07-01-07, 04:12 PM
cf1
Originally Posted by cf1 View Post
thanks chesse.. later i will look, and let you know i need it runing im have a lot of wood to split for winter..thanks
here is a number i found on the flywheel cover..hh 6010506g ser# 0324d.. can you give me any info? thanks

Old 07-01-07, 08:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's a 6hp. Made on the 324th day of a year ending in 0. Maybe 1980?

Old 07-02-07, 12:14 PM
cf1
It's a 6hp. Made on the 324th day of a year ending in 0. Maybe 1980?
thanks cheese.. i will start looking for a new engine,used perferably.. thanks again..

Old 07-02-07, 06:06 PM
Being a cast iron block, the crankshaft height (from the frame mounting) may be difficult to come up with a similar spec'd engine. Also, be sure you buy one with the same diameter crank so you don't have to purchase a new LoveJoy half. Is the pump half moveable or adjustable? If it is mounted rigidly then you need to be concerned with the crank height on any new engine you do buy. If this is not an issue then most any 6-8 horse engine should suit your needs although I'm inclined to favor a Briggs Vanguard 6 or 9 horse on splitter applications, they have good torque for this type of app. Just my opinion.

Old 07-02-07, 07:51 PM
cf1
Originally Posted by puey61 View Post
Being a cast iron block, the crankshaft height (from the frame mounting) may be difficult to come up with a similar spec'd engine. Also, be sure you buy one with the same diameter crank so you don't have to purchase a new LoveJoy half. Is the pump half moveable or adjustable? If it is mounted rigidly then you need to be concerned with the crank height on any new engine you do buy. If this is not an issue then most any 6-8 horse engine should suit your needs although I'm inclined to favor a Briggs Vanguard 6 or 9 horse on splitter applications, they have good torque for this type of app. Just my opinion.
yea its 1 inch shaft.. theres no adjustment on the pump part.. now im concerned with the shaft height.. i will check around.. thanks

Old 07-03-07, 08:10 PM
cf1
i just bought an engine at the action,, i dont know if its a brigs or what or how many hp. it looks about the same as the tecumseh same shaft size and mount .. there no starter rope , i guess it must had a stater. can i buy another cover with a starter rope? heres the numbers i got off it.. 190407 064701 7104291 any help and sugestions? thanks guys

Old 07-04-07, 03:00 AM
First, I hope you got one heck of a deal, this is a 36 year old Briggs & Stratton. Thirty-six is OLD for a small engine. Second, doesn't this engine have a reduction box mounted on the PTO end? Third, if the engine HAD a starter you should see a ring gear on the flywheel, do you? Fourth, yes you can get a rewind starter but may want to reconsider using this engine based on age and reduction box and flywheel.

Old 07-04-07, 10:21 AM
cf1
First, I hope you got one heck of a deal, this is a 36 year old Briggs & Stratton. Thirty-six is OLD for a small engine. Second, doesn't this engine have a reduction box mounted on the PTO end? Third, if the engine HAD a starter you should see a ring gear on the flywheel, do you? Fourth, yes you can get a rewind starter but may want to reconsider using this engine based on age and reduction box and flywheel.
puey61.. i gave $30.00 for it at the auction.. i bought a pig in a pock ,i know.. i hope it runs.. it needs a muffler.. i dont know what you mean by reduction box.. its got basicaly the same frame features as the tecumseh.. there is bolts for the starter so it did at one time have a starter, whats the hp on tis and whats the model number, so i can shop around for a rewind starter.. the old techumseh i took off had a starter but i used the rewind.. the engine looks clean and not abused on the outside.. the shaft and mounts are the same as the techumseh.. i just hope i dont have to put to much money into it..

Old 07-04-07, 09:20 PM
cf1, 99% of my work is making 'something' work from 'nothing' but as usual i gotta hand it to puey. nothing to offer but my $.02 and encouragement.

Old 07-05-07, 09:35 AM
cf1
Originally Posted by duigoose View Post
cf1, 99% of my work is making 'something' work from 'nothing' but as usual i gotta hand it to puey. nothing to offer but my $.02 and encouragement.
i may have to spend more to get it operating than what i can get a new engine for.. only thing im retired and moneys hard to spare.. i may just have to get the old wedge and start spliting my wood.. thanks

Old 07-07-07, 04:48 AM
Does this have a gear reduction box on the PTO end? If it does, the PTO shaft (business end) will not be in line with the crankshaft. The crank is what the rewind starter is centered on and also what the flywheel mounts to. Now draw an imaginary line through the engine and check if the PTO shaft is in line with the crankshaft. Is it? Or is it off line about four inches? If you have a reduction box then this engine will not be useable for a splitter application as the gear box turns at 1/6 the rate of the crank and will not be sufficient to power the hydraulic pump. And, if you think then that you'll just remove the reduction box, this won't work as the crankshaft will be a worm gear configuration and not adaptable to the Lovejoy connector necessary to mate the the pump.

Old 07-10-07, 03:47 PM
cf1
Does this have a gear reduction box on the PTO end? If it does, the PTO shaft (business end) will not be in line with the crankshaft. The crank is what the rewind starter is centered on and also what the flywheel mounts to. Now draw an imaginary line through the engine and check if the PTO shaft is in line with the crankshaft. Is it? Or is it off line about four inches? If you have a reduction box then this engine will not be useable for a splitter application as the gear box turns at 1/6 the rate of the crank and will not be sufficient to power the hydraulic pump. And, if you think then that you'll just remove the reduction box, this won't work as the crankshaft will be a worm gear configuration and not adaptable to the Lovejoy connector necessary to mate the the pump.
no it doesnt have a gear box.. the crank is inline and not off set.. i have been checking around and i can get a rewind ans starter clutch for $60.00.. this engine has a fly wheel and had a stater mount at one time.. i need some way to get it runing and see how it does before i put money for a rewind.. i found a brigs engine mod# 120412-0124 6 hp at small engine warehouse for $180.00 it should do the job.. and im stuck with this other engine i bought at the auction.. do you think the 6hp mod#120412 will do the job? thanks

Old 07-10-07, 06:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It will do the job if you can make it fit. That's the issue to be aware of.

Old 07-10-07, 08:30 PM
cf1
It will do the job if you can make it fit. That's the issue to be aware of.
it should fit, the shaft od and length is the same as the one i toook off. as for the height of the shaft i can move the lovejoy a couple inches .. as for the engine i bought at the auction it was not a gear drive.. looks to me as it was used as a go gart engine..

Old 07-11-07, 03:12 AM
The 120412, Briggs engine you found is a newer, aluminum bore, overhead valve engine and should do the trick. I believe the crank height should be exactly the same as the original engine. Being an aluminum bore and the fact that it will be put to some hard work, be sure to keep a close eye on the engine oil level and change regularly (every 50 hours) or better yet, use synthetic SAE 5W30 rather than the standard SAE 30 typically used. With the synthetic oil you can move oil change intervals to every 100 hours. But, you still need to check the level frequently.

Old 07-11-07, 08:04 AM
cf1
The 120412, Briggs engine you found is a newer, aluminum bore, overhead valve engine and should do the trick. I believe the crank height should be exactly the same as the original engine. Being an aluminum bore and the fact that it will be put to some hard work, be sure to keep a close eye on the engine oil level and change regularly (every 50 hours) or better yet, use synthetic SAE 5W30 rather than the standard SAE 30 typically used. With the synthetic oil you can move oil change intervals to every 100 hours. But, you still need to check the level frequently.
puey.. the shaft size 1 inch od, and 3 inch long is exactaly what i have with the old engine.. the hight from the bottom of the engine to center of the shaft is 5 1/2 inches.. i have some room to move the love joy..

Old 07-11-07, 05:01 PM
Bear with me a day, I believe I have a similar engine still boxed that I can measure the shaft height.

Old 07-11-07, 08:56 PM
cf1
Bear with me a day, I believe I have a similar engine still boxed that I can measure the shaft height.
puey.. on this old engine i took off the person who made this spliter had bolts and washer between the motor and the plate, so im realy not concerned about that.. i hope that they have the same price on the engine in sept thats when my budget can handle it.. in the mean time im cuting all the wood i can geting ready for this winter.. i can always split it later.. i just hope the new engine does the job the old techemsh did i took off,, there wasnt a log i couldnt split and it never hesitated.. i checked the hydralic fluid today and its kind of milky, so moister must have gotin in the tank. i will have to drain it and have it ready for the new engine..i will be going to the fair the next few days.. sorry for all the trouble, thanks ken

Old 07-12-07, 02:11 AM
Alrighty then, it sounds like we have a rap on this one. If you can set aside and extra hundred bucks or so, you should consider the Briggs Vanguard I suggested earlier. As far as the oil goes, just be sure to change the oil filter as well, if so equipped. Good luck and update us when you change out to the new engine.

Old 10-30-07, 03:09 PM
cf1
new kohler engine

Alrighty then, it sounds like we have a rap on this one. If you can set aside and extra hundred bucks or so, you should consider the Briggs Vanguard I suggested earlier. As far as the oil goes, just be sure to change the oil filter as well, if so equipped. Good luck and update us when you change out to the new engine.
instead of the brigs, i bought a kohler 8hp magnum, same shaft size, hooked up to the love joy perfect.. have been spliting logs, works great, for $75.00 looks new.. a freind i bought it off of said it was a 2000 year, it come off a spayer..

Old 10-30-07, 08:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Oh yeah! you got a heck of a deal on a heck of a good engine. Glad you got it up and running. Thanks for the update!

Old 10-31-07, 02:11 AM
Good news, great engine. Happy splitting!

Old 10-31-07, 04:28 PM
cf1
chesse, puey61, thanks for your help..

Search this Thread