Someone Please Tout the Benefits of a Vented Deck

Old 07-09-07, 05:34 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Someone Please Tout the Benefits of a Vented Deck

Long time viewer first time poster.

I have two riders now both "vented" decks. Both Sears one 18 hp 42" 2 blade and one 25 hp 48" 3 blade. I have had three other riders and they were closed. I always had better cuts and a lot less dirt and debris on me with the older closed deck units. With the 3 blade I look like pig pen driving around and worse when I am done.

So my question are these, what are/is the supposed benefit to a Vented Decks? Alleged or otherwise. I need a plausible explanation on this one.

Now that they are well out of warranty I am considering closing up the one on my 3 blade to test out my theory.

Old 07-09-07, 08:10 PM
Well as I understand it, the vented deck should produce a higher quality of cut.

Better air flow from a vented deck should deliver better lift, that should hold the grass up for a more even cut. So I have been told.

Old 07-09-07, 08:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
I think theoretically, 30yeartech has it right. I don't know if it really makes a noticeable difference. It might aid in cooling the mandrels and belt a little. Craftsmans seem to consistently have longer mandrel bearing life, but I think this is due to the use of quality (Koyo) bearings, rather than the cooling effect of a vented deck.

Old 07-10-07, 02:46 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Whatever the reason for the vented deck, I've never seen one plaster the operator with debris provided the underside of the deck is kept free of heavy grass buildup and you use the factory designed blades.

Old 07-10-07, 09:24 PM
F
Thanks for the words everyone. I have had great luck with parts and pieces life. I am open to any ideas on this one.

But I do blow it off inside and out completely after every mow. And I wash the decks out every third or 4th mow. Plus I use a wonderful little spray on under the deck to reduce and stick or build up.

I also only use original parts and blades. I had one mandrel bearing go out but that was a grease issue for that bearing set it wouldn't take grease real well from new so they went south early. I grease the crap out of it every 6th run.

But I am dead serious on the crap that the 3 blade deck blows everywhere it is flat amazing to me. And I look like I was dumped on by a vacuum cleaner bag after a mow with all of the dust, dirt and crap. I get a ton of build up on top of the deck every mow. I never had this with the unvented decks.

Might be time for my experiment to take place. A bunch of silicone in the vents and a few well placed deflectors. My thought is the front cutout for the roller and the open vents just makes for a great venturi effect and draws everything up and with the mandrels outside from under the mower itself facing up it just blows it right up to and on me

Old 07-11-07, 02:50 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Are you mulching, discharging or bagging with this mower?

Old 07-11-07, 07:54 AM
What conditions are you mowing in? I just moved from a yard that was just regular old grass / sand / dirt to a yard that completely sodded and well taken care of.
The first yard after mowing I was pretty dirty. This yard there is not a speck on me. Just my thoughts.

Old 07-17-07, 05:10 PM
F
Sorry folks was busy with bidness issues.
Conditions? Texas northern and it obviously less is wetter times and thicker grass times.

It happens mulching, open or bagging. Less open a little more mulching and I hate bagging due to set up of the dust outlet right by your butt and back.

Keep in mind old non-vented were in exactly same conditions. Just alot less crap blowing around. I seemed to contain more and down lower. I use a push mower Lawn Boy 27 years old I might add (should of bought a dozen of those) for trimming and you cna tell all dust stays down to the ground.

I am getting one of my old closed decks back here to test out and will report back.

Thanks for the listen.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: