Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

weed wacker won't start

07-01-07, 05:07 AM   #1  
weed wacker won't start

My weed wacker will not start. I took the muffler off (what function does the muffler serve?) and it had a small amount of fuel in it, is this normal? What can I do to get this to run, I do not know anything about engines. I took the muffler off because I felt better trying to do something to make it work than to just stare at it. I'm at the point to just go to Lowes and buy a new one. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Barbara

Sponsored Links

AL

07-01-07, 06:08 AM   #2  
Hi Barbara.... Welcome here.The muffler keeps an engine as quite as posiable.The reason that we tell people to take it off and look at it is a engine needs to breathe in and out too.And if it or any of the three holes going into the cylinder is clogged up,it can't.Also look into these holes,do you see any deep scars or scratches?If so this could effect the compression and make your trimmer junk.If not Sounds to me since you found fuel in muffler,that it might not be getting any spark to the spark plug.Take the spark plug out,then while holding the wire (by the insolation and away from any gas) about 1/2 an inch from the cylinder pull on the cord.An arc of blue spark should be noticable comming from the wire to the cylinder. Reply back with findings and someone will instruct further.

FL

07-01-07, 12:47 PM   #3  
Wish I could help more but I had to comment on this:

"I took the muffler off because I felt better trying to do something to make it work than to just stare at it."

I have tried so many times to make the stare fix work but as of yet it hasn't.

Is this the first time trying to start it this season, did this just come out of the blue or what?

NY

07-02-07, 02:10 AM   #4  
What brand trimmer is it? And, what are the ID numbers of the whacker?

07-08-07, 07:26 AM   #5  
weed wacker won't start reply

Hello, thank you repair guy for instruction. I haven't had time this past week to attempt the weed wacker. This afternoon I will play with the weed wacker and let you know what happens. Thank you again. Barbara

AL

07-17-07, 03:35 PM   #6  
Sears Weed Wacker

Hello Barbara2806,what is the status on your weed wacker.Have you got it running yet....or have you had the time to look at it??

Search this Thread