Clicking Sound - John Deere STX 38 Won't Start

Old 07-01-07, 07:52 PM
Question Clicking Sound - John Deere STX 38 Won't Start

I have a John Deere STX38 Lawn Tractor that I cannot start. When I turn the key to start it just makes a clicking sound but will not make the usual "cranking" sound. The battery is fully charged and I just had a new alternator put on last summer.

Can someone give me some possible explanation about this "clicking" sound when I try to start the engine and what I might possibly have to replace on this lawn tractor to fix it?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me on this problem!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-07, 08:11 PM
Check the battery cables where they connect to the battery and starter solenoid as well as to the chassis ground. Sounds like you are not getting enough current up to the starter motor. You may have to test the battery to make sure it is good, if it's a couple of years old or has been drained for an extended period it may not be any good. There is also the possibility that the problem could be in the starter solenoid or starter motor.

Old 07-01-07, 08:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd guess that your solenoid is bad. Check for voltage at the starter cable when trying to start. If none, the cable connections are bad or the solenoid is bad.

Old 07-02-07, 07:26 PM
Smile

30YearTech,

Thank you so much for the advice. I tightened up the negative battery cable where it connects to the battery post and it started right up.

Thanks for the great advice and for saving me a service call, I really appreciate it!!

Old 07-03-07, 04:39 AM
I also have a STX 38 and I the mower won't turn on. I bought it used and haven't had it for that long. When I used it last week the mower shut off briefly but came back on. Last night I tired for 30 minutes to get it to turn back on but nothing. It starts and runs fine but I can't get the mower to turn on. Any ideas...

Much Thanks!!!!
Pete

Old 07-03-07, 12:45 PM
There could be a problem with the pto switch, unplug the electric pto clutch and test the out put from the wiring harness to see if you are getting power to the clutch. If you have power to the clutch then the clutch may be bad.

Old 07-04-07, 04:13 AM
Or, simply, a dirty/corroded connection.