Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Blade Removal on Sears Riding Lawnmower

CANADA

07-02-07, 11:22 AM   #1  

Please advise if there is a way to remove cutting blade on Sears Riding Lawnmower if one does not have access to an air ratchet gun. I have heard a variety of stories about using wood blocks, but am skeptical.

waynf

Sponsored Links

TN

07-02-07, 12:14 PM   #2  
There are blade holders available commercially at stores like Tractor Supply. I wouldn't recommend using a wooden block because it could pop out. I usually use a ratchet with a 6 point socket and a piece of pipe slipped over the ratchet handle, to give more leverage. I hold the blade with one hand and pull on the ratchet with the other. Works well when I'm not near an air source.

CANADA

07-02-07, 12:38 PM   #3  

While we're on the subject, do I set ratchet to tighten or loosen, as I forgot which way the blade tightens, I would imagine its against the direction of cut.

Waynf

NY

07-02-07, 02:58 PM   #4  
The screws are normal thread so you would set the ratchet to loosen.

It's a lot easier to remove blades with the mower deck off. Then you can wrap the belt around the pulley and grab it real hard and thats usually enough force to loosen the blade nut.

Search this Thread