Belt coming off

Old 07-02-07, 11:22 AM
Belt coming off

I own 2 Yard Machine mowers and I am experiencing the same problem with both of them. When i shift into reverse the rear transaxle belt will come off. What the heck is going on?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-07, 01:05 PM
belt worn? need more info

Old 07-02-07, 03:03 PM
Check the pulley on top of the tranny to see if it is loose. Might be a worn belt too.

Is this a "shift-on-the-go" transmission?

Old 07-02-07, 05:37 PM
I'll bet you have a chassis that is cracked/broken at one of the mount points (usually three points) and the tranny is twisting and dropping the belt.

Old 07-03-07, 12:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think Puey61 has got it...the tranny is probably rocking and causing the belt to jump.

Old 07-03-07, 12:11 PM
The tranny and pulleys are tight on both mowers. Yes, it is a shift on the go tranny for both mowers.

Old 07-04-07, 04:24 AM
Are all the belt guides in place and in proper position relative the their respective pulleys? Are you sure the trannys are tightly secured? You may need to perform a bear hug and a grunt to determine if so.

Old 07-04-07, 10:09 AM
Check where the axle attaches to the frame support. I have seen many with cracked transaxle supports cracked at the bend in the support. There may be a lot of grass clippings on the area where the crack is and will need to clean it up so you can see it. Support the Tractor frame so the wheels and axle are free to swing down. Look closely at where the bolts and axle fasten to the frame and the bend in the frame at this location. Push down on the rear of the axle asm.