Advice on weed wacker purchase

Old 07-03-07, 07:08 AM
Smile Advice on weed wacker purchase

I'm going to purchase a new gas powered weedwacker for general purpose use in Florida 1/2 acre property. Advice suggestions or comment will be greatly appreciated.
Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-07, 03:43 PM
For light duty any $100 trimmer from the big box stores will give you 2-3 years service, during that time you will find it necessary to replace the fuel lines. If you want a trimmer that will last many years you will need to spend more $$$ for Stihl, Echo, Redmax, Shindiawa, etc. these trimmers are made to work long and hard. However none of them are any good if you do not use the proper mixture of fresh fuel(fresh from the pump not fresh from a can that has been in storage since last year). Have a good one. Geo

Old 07-03-07, 05:37 PM
Personally I would go with a Stihl, Echo, or John Deere (yellow john deere, not green) depending on what service you have in your area. Shindaiawa and Redmax are good trimmers but can cost more to repair.

Old 07-04-07, 04:11 AM
The four brands that geogrubb recommended are all good machines but you need to buy a brand that you have a local parts and service shop in your area for. No sense in buying a trimmer that you can't reasonably get parts, warranty service or advice for. For consumer use, I'd go with an Echo but not one available from a box store but rather a dealer.

Old 08-18-07, 02:02 PM
I bought a Shindiawa about 5 years ago. A friend of mine ran a mowing business and was mowing several grave yards. He needed some one reliable he could count on to do the weed whacking around acres and acres of head stones and he used Shindiawa whackers.

That job put my son in to college whacking his juniour and senor years of high school and first year of college. We bought our own and got paid a little more that way. I bought the saw and chopper blades as well as the line head and have used that thing as well to take care of 10 acres of grass and wood lot of my own ever since. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. Mine still runs like new.

I always buy premium gas for the chain saw and weed whacker both and always put the stabilizer in it as soon as I buy it. Same oil to gas mixture for both, 1/32. I only mix a gallon at a time so it's always fresh even if it didn't have stabil.

Old 08-18-07, 08:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good advice so far, although I don't reccomend using the premium gas. Here is a link to a similar discussion that might help you decide http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=312381

Old 08-19-07, 05:39 AM
Wow, Only 2-3 years from an avg weed wacker? I guess I've been lucky. I've been using the same Craftsman 32cc weed whacker for about 8-9 years. Starts every year with no problems. I just wish I could say the same thing about my chain saw.

As I start replacing my eqpt though, it will be with brands like Stihl, Echo, etc, as mentioned.

I feel that Sears quality has suffered over the years.

Old 08-19-07, 08:37 AM
Here are my thoughts (for my situation). Last weed wacker I bought was the cheapest I could find just because we move alot now and if the movers wouldn't move it I could 'throw it away'. That being said I take care of my stuff and its garage kept. It's lasted 2 years so far and runs and looks brand new (other than replacing fuel lines). I will say it is the last curved shaft trimmer I will own 'cause it hurts my back.

When we get to settle down I will buy a quality machine that I can pass on to my child.

The moral of my ramblings are alot matters on how you take care of stuff but you can't beat quality for the long run.

Old 08-20-07, 07:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
duigoose I agree with you on maintaining your equipment. I have a Ryobi 790r, 11years now. However it has not broke so I have done nothing but fuel and store it properly. I use it with a string trimmer as well as tiller/cultivator attachment.
Cycling the fuel, (either starting and running the unit, or simply using the primer several times once in a while) keep it in the dark and at a constant (avoid extreme variations such as happen in a small metal shed) moderate temperature.

Old 08-20-07, 09:26 AM
BFHfixit;
You must have rubber fuel lines for them to have lasted this long, it's amazing what a little maintenance and common sense can do to the life of equipment. People will keep their house, boat, autos, etc. spotless but the lawn equipment gets nothing but abuse and neglect and as soon as it gives them problems they say, "It's junk, I'll never buy that brand again". Have a good one. Geo

Old 08-20-07, 05:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Well I didn't think I did but like I said, I aint never touched em so I went and checked. They are the same clear vinyl or plastisized rubber I see on every other run down trimmer. I can still take them and bend them in half nearly, still very pliable.
I must say that our climate here in the Willamette Valley, Pacific North West is quite mild. We rarely have a hard freeze. Freezing temps are the hardest on fuel lines (plastic ones at least) Summers are milder than most the rest of the US also but she never sits out in the sun unless she rippin on somin.

Moderate consistent temps

http://www.asis.phanfare.com/show/external/122717/145762/24462747/file.jpg

http://www.asis.phanfare.com/show/external/122717/145762/24462755/file.jpg

http://www.asis.phanfare.com/show/external/122717/145762/24462741/file.jpg

Search this Thread