Toro Gas Trimmer --- Advice Needed

Old 07-04-07, 05:54 PM
Toro Gas Trimmer --- Advice Needed

Okay, here's the deal. My neighbor had a brand new Toro Gas Trimmer that he only used 2 times. It sat in his garage for about 3 years while he was in and out of the hospital. Long story short, he passed away and his wife just gave me the trimmer.

She said that the trimmer "was" full of gas when he last used it. Needless to say, it's now bone dry and I'm sure going to need a lot of loving attention to get it working again. Since you all were so helpful getting my mower back on track, I am sincerely hoping you'll be able to offer instructions on how I can clean this up and start using it.

16" Gas Trimmer
Model # 51906
Serial # 79078499

Thanks ... and I look forward to your replies.

Doc

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-07, 08:56 PM
Try the simple things first. Check the spark plug and make sure it's alright.

Mix up some fresh 2 cycle mix 40:1 ratio and put some in the fuel tank. Press the primer bulb several times to circulate some of the newer fresh fuel through the carburetor and see if it will start.

About 50% of the time thats all it takes, if it won't start or run properly then you will most likely have to clean and possibly rebuild the carburetor. If it runs okay, then you might want to take a look at the air filter and replace if needed.

This unit was made for Toro by Ryobi and you should be able to get any parts needed from a Toro or MTD dealer.

You can look up parts for your trimmer at
https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro

Best of Luck!

Old 07-04-07, 08:58 PM
First before you do anything to the trimmer draw yourself a diaghram of the fuel line routing. Now remove the carb it will probably be a Walbro or Zama get the type and numbers from it then go to your local small engine shop and get a set of fuel line and a diaphgram/gasket kit, at 3 years you will also need a primer bulb. Dis-assemble the carb and clean with carb cleaner in all holes, cracks and crevases, install the new diaphgram/gasket kit and primer bulb, if you get a rebuild kit use the old metering arm as it has the correct height adjustment, re-assemble install the new fuel lines and you should be good to go. Have a good one. Geo

Old 07-05-07, 02:57 PM
Thank You both ... "30yearTech" and "geogrubb" ... for your suggestions and ideas. I'll be getting to this on the weekend and I'll keep you posted as to the success (or failure) of my project.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to answer.

Doc