Homelite Mighty Lite

Old 07-05-07, 10:34 AM
Question Homelite Mighty Lite

We just purchased the Might Lite Edger from Home Depot with the Expand it String Trimmer attachment and it runs and starts really nice.

My question is that the two lower units wobble around when snapped on no matter how tight we make that screw down knob. Is this normal?

The idea of just one motor to run several diff attachements is great but will that play and wobble wear out the holes and make the wobble worse or did we just get a bad unit with undersize buttons?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-07, 04:36 AM
You've bought the lowest grade of equipment from a box store and can expect poor craftsmanship and a short lifespan. This is normal for what you purchased.

Old 07-07-07, 05:31 AM
Check out the Echo PAS (pro attachment series) or the Stihl KombiSystem. They're crazy expensive for a reason. Anyway you get what you pay for and I would take your edger back for a refund.

Old 07-07-07, 06:52 AM
C'mon guys, the average homeowner is not gonna buy crazy expensive yard tools for a job we do once every week or two. We just want something inexpensive that starts and runs and does the job.

Home Depot sells "Echo" but they are not attachment ready and I have no idea where to even look for Stihl products. The Homelite seemed to be a higher quality then the Craftsman and I see a lot of Craftsman products on this forum needing repairs and very little Homelite.

Based on those factors we bought the slightly more expensive Homelite plus is was the lightest. My wife will be using it because I have a damaged rotator cuff and cannot hold them very long

I was just asking about the wobble of the attachments, is it normal?

Old 07-07-07, 09:54 AM
Save a buck, that's what makes it so hard for us small-business, independent shops to keep afloat. Too many people have the throw-away mentality that the behemoth box store giant has instilled into everyones mind. As my last sentence reads from my first post, "This is normal for what you purchased". Forgive me if I seem angry and perhaps I should *****foot around my answer to you but I hope you and others who read this understand that, generally, what you buy at a box store is garbage and that for every sale at a box store another small-business hangs up their closed sign...for good. Imagine a country as good as ours without the small guy to provide quality whole goods, educated service, and sound advice. Find these at the box store! And so your reply is, "Well, it will just be a matter of time and the box stores will have their own qualified, educated, knowledgeable, sales and service staff that we can go to for service after the sale, a one-stop shop". And I say, just imagine the economy with box stores full of service technicians making minumum wage. And then think about the trickle down affect. We're not saying to spend crazy money on your equipment, just to spend your money wisely and on machinery that might last you longer than the warranty period. I'm not crusading, I'm merely pointing out the obvious that people have forgotten about, you work hard for your money, why throw it away.

Old 07-07-07, 10:36 AM
Amen. You said it PUEY61. Stihl is one of the last companies to stay out of the big box stores. When you buy equipment you use every couple of weeks you should get the better equipment that will last, you can get repaired, buy parts for that do not cost the same as the orginal cost of the equipment and from a company that knows something about the equipment you are buying. You do not know how many come into our shop stating that they had enough with the big box stores. The big box stores have pressured the good name brand companies into obtaining cheap equipment putting their name on the equipment and then selling it in the big box stores. Atleast some of the big name equipment warrant is backed by the big name company. I get a charge out of the customer that comes in and states that a certain company, it went backrupt and was picked up by some other mass production company, is selling for a lower price than any other big company. We also do the warranty work for that mass production company that sells at a low price through the big box stores and see how bad the equipment is comparred to what the equiipment was before that name company went bankrupt and bought out. Home Depot in our area sends all the service work to a company in Chicago. We did do the work for them but Home Depot went with the cheaper repair company with a contract. You can not keep good help if the help can not earn a decent living. You get what you pay for at the big box stores.

Old 07-07-07, 11:05 AM
[QUOTE=Bill kubiak;1199873
I was just asking about the wobble of the attachments, is it normal?[/QUOTE]
As far as your machine that you have right now,
I wouldn't expect an extreme amount of wobble in a brand new machine, no matter how cheap it was. New is new, if there's a problem take it back. Get another one, and if that one does the same thing, take that one back, get your money back and wait it out until you can get a higher quality unit.
I've been down that same road with Poulan equipment... it took me a little to get over the sticker shock of higher end equipment, but the quality of the equipment and the product support you get from a dealer by far out weighs the price.
Nobody's saying go out and buy the biggest and most expensive. I personally would recommend the Echo PAS 230 as far as price and capability of the machine and its attachments.
A little more food for thought, in a year or 2, when your machine doesn't run like it used to... most shops will not touch a low end machine. They're considered throw away items.

Old 07-07-07, 10:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Quote:---"A little more food for thought, in a year or 2, when your machine doesn't run like it used to... most shops will not touch a low end machine. They're considered throw away items."

True. Many won't touch them, and the ones that will usually charge a nice minimum charge up front before they ever look at them. I usually don't work on them unless they are for good regular customers. A quality tool is usually worth fixing, and easier to fix with less parts and expense. A cheap trimmer can be expected to last from 1 to 5 years with the hassle of hard starting, poor line feeding, vibration, unbalance, lack of power, and noise. Good trimmers often last for 15-20 years with improved quality in most or all of those areas. One from a local small shop will help put dinner on a few tables rather than push profits up a tad for a major corporation.

I guess you know all of this though. Yes, the wobble on the shaft is to be expected on low-end equipment. Tolerances are sloppy on most of them I've seen. Expect it to worsen in time, eventually to the point of failure or until it becomes too aggravating to use. Sorry, they just don't make everything to last anymore.

Another thought: Isn't Homelite now defunct?

Last edited by cheese; 07-07-07 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-12-07, 04:57 AM
I have a litle bone to pick with all you repair guys whining and complaining about Big Box stores and their low priced poor quality stuff running you out of business etc.

get real and take a good look at yourself and your posts

We go into your shops and get treated like crap because we dared to bring our low priced stuff in for repair and then you tell us what junk that 100 trimmer is and how we should have bought your 300 trimmer. Read your own posts below at what you say about us Big Box shoppers and see how you treat us if we are not your regular customers.

You are putting yourself out of business.

Some years back I bought a Snapper Mower (cannot get a snapper at a big Box) at an outragous price thinking it would last longer then my old Murray. I had an issue with it and brought in back under warranty aboput 8 months later and was told it was rusty and misused and therefore no longer under warranty, this was after it sat in a shop for about a week or longer. then I was told it would be a fistful of cash to fix it, which I reluctantly paid. You can rest assured that everyone I know or met heard my story about my poor treatment.

If I bought a Murray at Home depot or Sears and brought it back during the warranty period chances are they would have just given me a new one and apologized for the inconvience.

If you guys would get smart and realize there are millions and millions of us shopping in the big Box stores and just cater to us a little and not try to rip us off or make us feel like crap you might just see a surge in business.

I am not about to buy a trimmer for 300 when I can buy one for 100, and when I come in to see you to get a carb rebuild kit or a primer bulb, you should be happy to see me and charge me fairly and not despise me just because I did not buy your product. I walked thru your front door and want to be treated nice just as you do when you walk into a Best Buy looking for a deal on a TV.

Just look at the posts you guys all write about the stuff you don't sell, perhaps you should carry two lines of product, one for the professional lawn care guy and another for the weekend warrier like almost everyone on this forum.

Think about it, I am done venting, I will bet there are a lot more that feel the same as I do

Old 07-12-07, 06:44 AM
Originally Posted by Bill kubiak View Post
I have a litle bone to pick with all you repair guys whining and complaining about Big Box stores and their low priced poor quality stuff running you out of business etc.

get real and take a good look at yourself and your posts

We go into your shops and get treated like crap because we dared to bring our low priced stuff in for repair and then you tell us what junk that 100 trimmer is and how we should have bought your 300 trimmer. Read your own posts below at what you say about us Big Box shoppers and see how you treat us if we are not your regular customers.

You are putting yourself out of business.

Some years back I bought a Snapper Mower (cannot get a snapper at a big Box) at an outragous price thinking it would last longer then my old Murray. I had an issue with it and brought in back under warranty aboput 8 months later and was told it was rusty and misused and therefore no longer under warranty, this was after it sat in a shop for about a week or longer. then I was told it would be a fistful of cash to fix it, which I reluctantly paid. You can rest assured that everyone I know or met heard my story about my poor treatment.

If I bought a Murray at Home depot or Sears and brought it back during the warranty period chances are they would have just given me a new one and apologized for the inconvience.

If you guys would get smart and realize there are millions and millions of us shopping in the big Box stores and just cater to us a little and not try to rip us off or make us feel like crap you might just see a surge in business.

I am not about to buy a trimmer for 300 when I can buy one for 100, and when I come in to see you to get a carb rebuild kit or a primer bulb, you should be happy to see me and charge me fairly and not despise me just because I did not buy your product. I walked thru your front door and want to be treated nice just as you do when you walk into a Best Buy looking for a deal on a TV.

Just look at the posts you guys all write about the stuff you don't sell, perhaps you should carry two lines of product, one for the professional lawn care guy and another for the weekend warrier like almost everyone on this forum.

Think about it, I am done venting, I will bet there are a lot more that feel the same as I do
You are right, a lot of shops and mechanics talk down about the big box brands. I for one, have never done that. If someone comes to me in need of a repair, I fix the problem. Most of my work is on older equipment that has long been out of warrantee. The problem here in my mind only is a lack of pride in repairing peoples broken equipment. Too many technicians are out there who only want to make the almighty dollar and do not care about customer satisfaction. That is also the problem with the big box stores, they do not understand what customer service is and most do not even have a repair shop, so they farm out the warrantees on those of us who are already very busy. I do not advocate the way many repair shops are quick to tell customers that the machine has been misused and no longer is under warrantee. That decision is for the manufacturer representative to make, not the mechanic. The shop should send in the papers and let the maker decide if they will pay for the repair. The customer should be advised that the problem may or may not be covered by the maker and be given the oppertunity to either wait for word from the maker or go ahead with the repair with knowledge that the cost might fall on the customer. It is rare in my experience for a maker to turn down a repair when the machine is within the time frame, Why? because they want repeat sales.

Old 07-12-07, 10:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have my own shop and provide service and repair ONLY. I dont sell parts either, my customers purchase their own parts per my recommendation, when needed.
My only product is my service. It took me two years of stubborness and determination to learn about cheap disposable equipment, usually string trimmers.
Average time just to diagnose is 30 min. To make even the smallest repair figure 1 hour. Include any parts and with a shop rate of 40$/hr(My rates are very conservative for my market) your already at $50-$60.
Now, I have not found any of these yet that I can garuntee will not have the exact same problem in a week, a month, next year...? More than likely the problem will re appear and not due to my service, but due to neglected storage and or just cheap equipment that wears out sooner and requires more maintenance to keep running than most people can or will do.
Even if I make the repair, am completely upfront about "No Promises" when it fails next week you can bet your gonna bring it back and ask me what for's?!?!? Personally I would rather have you think I am too lazy or just not smart enough when I tell you I wont work on it, than to fix something what can't be fixed and frustrate both you and me.
I don't feel comfortable charging for a repair I can not guarantee.

Old 07-12-07, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by BFHFixit View Post
Average time just to diagnose is 30 min. To make even the smallest repair figure 1 hour. Include any parts and with a shop rate of 40$/hr(My rates are very conservative for my market) your already at $50-$60.
Right on.

Bill, you say you want us to cater to the person who buys a cheaper unit, and then needs repair. That's all good and well until said person finds out that they're looking at a minimum charge of over a 3rd of the original purchase cost of their item. Then it's a different story, the mechanic becomes the bad guy, and is obviously only there for the all mighty dollar. The same all mighty dollar mind you, that prompted the person to buy the cheaper unit in the first place. We charge more to service low end 2 cycle equipment because most of it is not intended to be serviced. This turns into added man hours and a bigger headache for the guy turning the wrench. The more time and effort we have to put into something, the more it's going to cost the person having the work done. Higher end machines are made to be serviced, something that takes less time and aggravation to repair is going to cost the consumer less at the shop.
You get what you pay for. There's no way around that.

Old 07-12-07, 06:41 PM
[QUOTE=Bill kubiak;1202335]

Remember when you go in and get that carb kit and it costs you $30 and you want an hour of free advice on how to repair the $100 trimmer, who's time are you using that could be repairing something that will put bread on my table. If I do not stock something and have to order it and pay shipping and handling of $10 to $20 dollars to get for you, be grateful and forget the questions. Do not cry about the prices. When I worked as a tool maker and power tool repair person in my younger days, the cost of parts to rebuild most items has always been up there where you could replace it with new cheaper if you had to do extensive repai.. Most of these low price power equipment parts cost about as much as throwing it away and getting another one. The cost to inventory parts and then ship them to the customer in this day and age has gone through the roof. Remember that the small guy has to pay his utility bill and does not have the capital at hand that the big box guys have. Those $100 trimmers are made where. Just walk through the big box store and you see they are made in China and they are a copy of some of the better equipment. The only thing is where are you going to get parts? MTD is marketing a Chinese made engine on a mower that the only repair parts are complete carbs and engines. The $300 will last most people a long time if properly maintained without a lot of extra expense. The Sears store has changed a lot on repair or exchange of equipment if you have not noticed unless you buy their extended warranty. I see those poor Sears customers everyday looking for someone to repair their equipment and it is not that old. Murray, Cub Cadet, Troy Bilt, and others all went bankrupt. Who owns the names now and look at the quality of the product. I see broken mounting brackets, frames and mower spindles almost daily. Cost to repair, parts are about as much as a new unit. Buy Big Box and hand onto you wallet if you ever need parts. I saw a snow blower made in China this past winter that the engine will not run in the cold weather. The people went to take it back to the Big Box store that they purchased it from and guess what they were told. Sorry but it is yours. The engine was a copy of a Honda engine and it ate drive belts for breakfast and they wanted us to fix it for nothing. Sorry!!

Old 07-12-07, 11:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Mr. Kubiak,

Let me begin with stating the fact that I carry NO brand of equipment. I do NO warranty work for any brand either. I quit doing any of that, and now all I sell is my skill and knowledge. We are providing free advice to you here on the net, and we've never even met you. You think we would do less if you were standing in front of us at our service counters? We're giving advice and helping people fix equipment that we know for a fact was not purchased at our places of business, and most is from box-stores. Oh, and w'ere not paid to be here helping people like yourself. This is volunteer work.

You say we're running ourselves out of business? It's the "save-now-pay-later, then gripe about it" people who are running "us" out of business. I say "us" in quotes, because it doesn't even apply to me. I service all makes and brands, and sell none. I only turn down work that isn't worth my effort, like cheap trimmers.

I didn't talk down to you, and I don't see where anyone here did. Sorry if you feel like we're trying to make you feel like crap. I am not rich either, an am constantly looking for the best deal too. Here's where we differ. To me, the best deal is the one where I get the most satisfaction from my dollar. If I spend ten bucks on a crappy drill that burns up in a month, then I just threw away ten dollars. OK, maybe I can get it warrantied. But then I have to make sure I kept the reciept, and take it back to where I got it from, and get it exchanged if they have one, and take it back home and probably burn it up too. So now I've wasted a lot of time, gas, ten bucks, and still had the aggravation of a cheap piece of equipment that wouldn't work when I was ready to work.

Now, if I ask on a drill forum, and I get a lot of replies from folks who are in the trade about how I can buy a 30 dollar drill, and probably won't ever have to worry about it for years to come, then I get a clue. Then I realize I can buy it from a local small drill dealer instead of the local buyitall store and help a real family instead of a corporate who-knows. Well, that's what I'd do...and that's what I do in actuality. If I can't afford decent quality, I wait to buy until I can afford it, or I go to the pawn shop or read the classifieds or whatever, until I get what I need for the price I can pay.

As for your dealings with the snapper dealer...well, shame on the dealer. It sounds like you had a bad experience with them and stereotyped the whole industry based on that experience. Most small engine shops I've been in were very laid back and friendly folks willing to share info and even hang around and chew the fat if you like.

If a company made trimmers out of cardboard, someone would buy one because they're cheap. Then when they ask "why is it falling apart", we're gonna tell them the same thing. That's almost the way things have gotten now...except instead of cardboard, it's conduit and plastic.

Understand that I am not attacking, belittling, or otherwise trying to have a negative attitude towards you in any way. Rather, I am trying to defend the position taken by myself and others on this board, and help you understand how it is from a serviceman's point of view. We're the ones who have to deal with this very same situation on almost a daily basis.

Last edited by cheese; 07-13-07 at 12:35 AM.