MTD - Removing the rear wheels

Old 07-05-07, 11:28 AM
Question MTD - Removing the rear wheels

I hope someone can help me understand how to remove the rear wheels from my garden tractor.

The axles have a slot in them with a 1/4x3" square key.

So far I've used WD-40, and a hammer with no luck.

Any Ideas?

MTD - 18hp 46" deck 1993

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-07, 12:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Its likely you will not be able to remove it. I have had the entire rear end removed, and using a press was unable to remove a couple.
If you have a flat in need of repair, it is possible to install a inner tube or even a new tire without removing the wheel.

Old 07-05-07, 02:17 PM
Penetrating oil (PB Blaster, etc) works much better than WD 40. You may need to re-spray a few times. Heat will work wonders as well.

Old 07-06-07, 07:16 AM
PB Blaster - I will try it!

Originally Posted by oldchevy4x4 View Post
Penetrating oil (PB Blaster, etc) works much better than WD 40. You may need to re-spray a few times. Heat will work wonders as well.
I think your right, I will need something better than WD-40. I took the transmission apart as to have two seperate axles and thought I could hammer the axles out.....No Luck!

Old 07-06-07, 07:20 AM
Unhappy Scary Thought!

Originally Posted by BFHFixit View Post
Its likely you will not be able to remove it. I have had the entire rear end removed, and using a press was unable to remove a couple.
If you have a flat in need of repair, it is possible to install a inner tube or even a new tire without removing the wheel.
Wow, I'm starting to feel hopeless. I bought a new transaxle off of ebay for the one I have is no good. I'm still waiting for the delivery so I'm scrambling to get the old one off.
When you used a press, what kind of shop did you take it too?

Old 07-06-07, 07:38 AM
I have no need to take it anywhere, I have my own shop. I have 25 yrs as an Electro/mechanical technician. Time, and quite a bit of time at that, and extreme persistence MAY get the wheel off with both the wheel and axle still being usable, however as I mentioned, its not likely and certainly not worth the effort in my opinion. Chances are the entire unit will wind up as scrap.

What is the reason you are trying to remove it?

Old 07-06-07, 08:29 AM
you say you ordered a new transaxle because your old one is no good? I had one I worked on for several days doing the penetrating oil, heat, hammers, cuss words, the whole thing then finally gave up. Neighbor took it and got the wheels off by using heat and something.
Since you have seperated the case are you working on this just holding an axle and a wheel? Have you removed the clip from the end of the axle holding the wheel on (not sure its a clip but something should be/have been there)?
I think the press you are looking for could be found at a machine shop. Our Napa parts store where I used to live had a shop and they had one.

Old 07-06-07, 11:21 AM
I have a 1960s something Sears LT 10 that the rims slid right off the axle. Go figure...

Why do you say your transaxle is no good? Whats wrong with it?

Old 07-07-07, 10:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've used oxy-acetylene torches to get the hub glowing red hot, and then had to use an impact hammer to work the wheel off the axle on some of these things. I've had to cut some off. If you've hammered on the ends of the axles, they probably won't ever come off unless you grind the flare off the ends of the axles.

Old 07-08-07, 10:47 AM
I hope you remove the retaining clip and washer first between the wheel and end of the axle shaft! I like PB Blaster to soak the wheels and shaft. Since you are replacing the transaxle, you can drop the whole assembly and then split the trans axle removing the wheel and axle. A good parts store like NAPA etc., have a press that they can press out the axle shaft.

Old 07-14-07, 10:08 AM
Talking Transaxle

Well, there was a cottor pin and a flate washer holding the wheels on. I tore the old transaxle apart so now I have two wheels with axles still in them.

The transaxle had a broken case and the gears were jerking all over when it was driving.

I've kinda given up for the moment and they are just sitting there until I have a brain storm.

I've heard some say "have a mechine shop" use a press. Well, I'm really not sure what to look for in the phone book?

I did order new square keys as too put the wheels on the new transaxle....If I ever get them off!! lol

Old 07-14-07, 10:20 AM
If you're absolutely not going to use the old tranny, then cut the axle just behind the rim. It should then be easier to hammer the rest of the axle out of the rim.

Old 07-14-07, 10:27 AM
As long as time is of no concern you may still be able to work one or both off. Start soaking them with engine oil and sitting in the sun. Pound around on them now and then. Few days or so of that then maybe a small propane torch and some more pounding. Then continue these steps until they appear futile or you see movement.
If you can find a source of "cold" an old freezer or dry ice. Canned air if held upside down will work or electronic stores sell cans of "freeze spray". Get the thing good and cold then hit it with the torch while liberally soaked in oil .
Actually pounding in attempts to remove it are better performed while the parts are cold. When hot they expand which now makes the bond tighter. The cold should shrink the parts and hopefully create a clearance.
You can continue this for quite sometime without seeing any improvement. Then one day walk out and the thing has fallen through on its own.
I personally have never put that much time into one of these wheels.

As for a press, some auto parts stores will have one, most auto repair shops I think will, certainly engine rebuild shops will and possibly your local small engine repair shop.

gl
Az

Old 07-17-07, 09:11 AM
Thumbs up Thank you all

The idea of cutting the axles might help. I think my next step will be an automotive shop. Try the press idea first.
The rest sounds like a headache for sure but whatever works!

Thank you all for the advice!!!!! Your Great!!!

Old 07-18-07, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by gbear_79 View Post
I've heard some say "have a mechine shop" use a press. Well, I'm really not sure what to look for in the phone book?lol
A NAPA, Bumper to Bumper or any auto parts store that will do machine work usually has a press. If you do get them off, be sure to use an anti-sieze compound when reinstalling.

Old 07-18-07, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by duigoose View Post
Have you removed the clip from the end of the axle holding the wheel on (not sure its a clip but something should be/have been there)?
I think the press you are looking for could be found at a machine shop. Our Napa parts store where I used to live had a shop and they had one.
That cottor pin and washer is what I was asking about (E clip on others and who knows on what I haven't seen). Which way did or have you hammered toward? Just curious now.

Old 07-18-07, 09:39 PM
Make sure that the axles has no burrs on them then "IF" you can find a BIG puller that will fit behind the rim at the hub,and tighten on the axle, and tighten it little by little,heating the hubs (not the axles) it just may come off.

BUT << CAUTION >> IS REQUARED TOO.BECAUSE WHEN IT DOES DECIDE TO COME OFF EVERYTHING IS GOING TO FLY EVERYWHERE.--- USE SAFTY GLASES.......ALL POSSIBLE SAFTY PROCAUSTIONS.

Or you can do the same mathod using a press at an auto shop as described in above post by camino kid.

Old 07-19-07, 10:15 AM
Question New Problem!!

I put the axles on hold for the time and went on to install my new (Old) Transaxle that I bought on Ebay.
Everything went together perfectly. I have the tractor on blocks (of course with no rear wheels) started the engine and when I put it in gear the axles turn but when I grab ahold of the axles on either side I can stop it from turning.
It is strange than it turns in the direction of the gear it is in and at the speed it is set to.

I thought that maybe I have a belt not on correctly but I looked inside while it is in gear and running and everything seems to be in order. I even looked at the pulleys while grabing onto the axle and everything keeps right on turning as should.

Anyone??? HELP

Old 07-19-07, 02:54 PM
Are you saying you grab a wheel and the wheel stop turning or you grab a wheel and everything stops turning? Did you put the keys back in place?

Old 07-19-07, 02:59 PM
He doesn't have the wheels on it yet.

What happens if you grab both sides? If one side stops when you grab it, that is the normal operation of the differential. If you have it in gear and you're holding both sides of the axle and neither side is turning, then you just got screwed on eBay.

Old 07-19-07, 09:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Like msidan said, if you're just holding one axle, then that's normal. The differential works that way so that your grass doesn't get torn up and the tranny doesn't bust when you make a turn (the outer wheel turns faster on a turn). Hold both and I bet you won't stop 'em.

Old 07-20-07, 06:08 AM
Talking Wow!!

Originally Posted by msidan View Post
He doesn't have the wheels on it yet.

What happens if you grab both sides? If one side stops when you grab it, that is the normal operation of the differential. If you have it in gear and you're holding both sides of the axle and neither side is turning, then you just got screwed on eBay.
Ya'll Impress me with your knowledge!!! I held both axles and "I Could NOT HOLD EM'" Yahoooooo!!!!!

Please excuse my over excitement but I've been out of work for awhile and this tractor that I picked up on a trade is my hope to get some mowing jobs!!
So I was VERY pleased to find out my transaxle is fine!!!!

So, if push comes to shove on the wheels. I guess I could throw a yard sale out and maybe buy some hubs and just put the old tires on them.
Of course I will have to find out how much new huds will cost, But I'm sure they don't cost as much as a new transaxle which new a transaxle's price is over $1000.00 from the Mfg.

Thank you...THANK YOU....Thank you For your help!!!!

Old 07-21-07, 12:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great! Glad you got it fixed. Check for wheels at your local lawnmower shops. If they're like me, they'll have a couple rims for different mowers stored away from used mowers. Maybe they'll have some good used ones for ya.