Craftsman tiller wheel froze

Old 05-17-07, 11:35 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Craftsman tiller wheel froze

I just started tilling with my craftsman 5.0 17" rear tine tiller model 917-293203 and had just completed one row when wheels locked up. Tine still works and gear shift lever moves but wheels don't. Please help!

Old 05-18-07, 02:43 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Well, sight unseen, it may be difficult to determine exactly what you have for trouble. But, since there is relatively little to go wrong externally it's safe to assume you have issues inside the gearbox/chaincase. In such case, if you don't see/detect anything externally, you will have your hands full disassembling this unit to get inside the gearbox/chaincase. Patience, shop towels, digital photos as you procede and note taking to keep your parts in order upon disassembly will be in order.

Old 06-06-07, 09:29 AM
B
Question Same problem here

I have the exact same problem. Anyone have any ideas? Engine, gear shifter and tines all work fine. Wheels are completely locked and do not engage in forward or reverse. They don't move in neutral either.

Old 06-06-07, 11:53 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Same make and model? If so, read the above post.

Old 06-06-07, 09:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
When Puey says you'll have your hands full, he's not kidding. The entire unit gets totally disassembled piece by piece.

Fromt he description, I would guess the drive chain broke and wound up around the sprocket, locking it up.

Old 07-08-07, 11:27 AM
D
same problem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I to have a Craftsman tiller and I think the chain broke that runs the wheels. Yes you do have to strip it completley down and I mean everything. The problem I am having is getting the wheels off. I pulled the pins, sprayed it with PB-Blaster, heated them with a torch and beat on them with a block of wood and a sledge hammer. They won't budge. I am starting to think about just buying another one.

Don

Old 07-08-07, 12:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Sounds like you're doing the right things to get it off. Are you heating it with a propane torch or an oxy-acetylene torch? I don't think a propane torch will do the trick.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: