Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sears LT1000 cut out won,t start

07-09-07, 03:47 AM   #1  
Sears LT1000 cut out won,t start

Hi I purchased a used year 2001 Sears Lt1000 17.5 Briggs & Stratton motor 42 inch cut ride on lawn mower.It ran great, cut lawn 2 times no problems .The 3rd time I used it I started having problems seems to be when I went from forward to reverse It would cut out then catch itself and continue running this happened maybe a 1/2 dozen times or so I went to empty bagger and shut mower down.Went to restart absolutely nothing would not turn over, no click from solinoid nothing .Battery's fine all charged spark plug is clean.
The following day I jump stated mower from my car started right up ran it for about a 1/2 hour died again.I'm stumped maybe a bad kill switc I don't no I don't have a owners manual so I don't no were the kill switch wires are.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks Red

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-09-07, 08:35 PM   #2  
Have you tried jump starting it again? The fact that jump starting it made a difference leads me to think you have either a battery problem, or a battery connection problem.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

07-10-07, 02:36 AM   #3  
If the battery tests out OK (both for voltage and amperage) then be sure to check all six battery cable ends for good connections paying particular attention to the ground cable at the point it attaches to the frame of the tractor.

07-10-07, 05:48 PM   #4  
Sears LT1000 found broken wire

Thanks for feedback on my problem checked battery cable connections all where tight and secure. Started checking for power thru ignition solinoid with a test light. Following one of the wires where there was no power and there it was a chaffed wire chafing on the steering gear nice easy fix . I'm glad I got out of that one cheap. Thanks again Puey61 & Cheese

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-10-07, 06:42 PM   #5  
Glad you got it fixed! Thanks for the update!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread