B&S engine change question

Old 07-10-07, 10:42 AM
B&S engine change question

I have a burned up 25hp Briggs & Stratton engine. I am hoping to be able to replace it rather then spend a fortune on a new mower. The original engine was model 446777 type 0165. Can a 445777-0248 engine be used for this application? I have found one on ebay and am considering it, but as usual it no returns, so I will be taking a chance.

I don't know what the differences are between model numbers. The keyed shaft is the same size and visually they look the same, but that is all I know about the new engine.

Thanks,
Rudy

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-07, 10:49 AM
More than likely it's a fit... but I would call Briggs consumer hot line for specifics as to mounting holes/etc..... otherwise, you'll miss out on the bids waiting for an answer here...

Old 07-11-07, 05:57 PM
I didn't look up the difference, if any, between the charging systems on each engine but I can say that each engine has the exact same crankshaft (691046) and each one calls for a replacement engine that is similar except the horsepower rating - same displacement (44 cubic inch), same crank, same type number (0027 for the replacement engine on each original engine). I would guess that the alternator and regulator are exactly the same between the two engines.