Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Wheel Horse Mower Fixer...Help!

07-11-07, 09:46 AM   #1  
Wheel Horse Mower Fixer...Help!

Hello, I have a old wheel horse mower I wanna make into a trail mower for messing around on. Its got a khorl motor on it. Pretty heavy duty mower too. Um what can i do just with its self to make it go faster and run good at the same time. I don't really...want to put money into it. What can i simply do to its self take off etc... to make it go faster?

Sponsored Links

TN

07-11-07, 04:14 PM   #2  
Do you have a hydro or gear drive transaxle? If it's a hydro and you want more speed, look for a different machine. If it's gear driven you can change the pulley to achieve a different input ratio. Smaller on the transaxle or larger on the engine. While you're at it make sure you change the gear oil. 30 year old oil doesn't do much for lubrication. I wouldn’t spin the engine much faster than the governor allows it to without some internal mods first.

NY

07-11-07, 04:47 PM   #3  
We don't have much to go on other than you have an older Wheel Horse with a Kohler engine. Look for ID numbers on the chassis and post back with these. But based on the fact that it is older and heavy duty, I'll guess this is a horizontal, cast iron block crankshaft engine with a horizontal input, cast iron, 4 or eight speed, manual shift transaxle. If this is of no other use to you, you can attempt to change the belting and pulley ratios but I think you'll just have a slightly faster boat anchor. ID numbers please.

Search this Thread