Homelite Generator.

Old 07-11-07, 04:56 PM
Homelite Generator.

A neighbor dropped off a Homelite Generator that didnt run. I got the engine running but had to disconnect a small terminal mounted on the engine fan cover in order for it to start. If I plug it in, the engine will stop almost immediately. I dont know where to go in the generator itself to fix the problem. The numbers are LR4400 UTO3781-A (generator) 19E400 Briggs engine. There is no external throttle on the engine.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-07, 05:36 PM
You didn't post the engine's type number so I'll guess that the engine has a low oil shut-down device and the terminal you see is a junction block where all the kill circuit wiring meets and the wire you are removing is the shut-down wire. Can you trace where the origin of the wire is? To a terminal on the fuel tank side of the engine at the bottom of the engine block? Behind the flywheel (which is behind the blower shroud (fan cover, as you refer to it))? To a rocker type kill switch? Post back with the type number as well as the code number of the engine and answer my questions, please. There is, indeed, no throttle control as the majority of generator application engines are fixed speed with, perhaps, a thumbnut to adjust the operating RPM.

Old 07-13-07, 05:58 PM
Homelite Generator

Sorry about the lack of numbers, Ill get them off the machine tomorrow. I can tell you that the actual kill switch wire was not connected, as the kill switch is a simple on off that you turn to either position mounted on the top of the blower shroud. The switch was missing, so the first thing I went looking for was the kill wire. It was hanging loose behind the shroud, so I taped it to prevent it from grounding or tangling up with something it shouldnt. The wire I am disconnecting from the terminal is coming from the generator itself, but I will try to give you a more specific location. Thanks for the reply

Bill

Old 07-13-07, 06:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have one of those generators and recall no wire from the generator to the engine.. If the switch is missing, it must be going to ground at the generator and being used as the kill switch.. There certainly is no reason for it to be attached to the generator..

Old 07-14-07, 07:54 AM
Homelite Generator

Well youre both right. Its a long story but the wire I THOUGHT was going to the generator actually went around the back and after being connected to ONE more terminal under the carburetor, it went on to the kill switch, (that still isnt installed) Since Puey61 keyed me to the fact that the wire from the fan shroud light terminal went to a low oil sensor switch, I checked the oil. There was a lot of oil in it, but a little oil added fixed the problem. It starts and runs and operates, I just have to pull the plug wire to shut it off, but that will be fixed with the addition of a kill switch. Thank you both for the replies, and the great advice.

Bill