Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How do I set timing on 6.5 H.P. Tecumseh

07-11-07, 06:26 PM   #1  

How do I set timing on 6.5 H.P. Tecumseh OHV engine? I recently had to replace the shear pin and realign the flywheel after hitting a small tree stump in tall weeds. After making sure that the crank shaft was not bent, I set the gap at about .015 and reassembled the engine. The engine runs now but it is obviously out of time and it runs ragged. What I really need is the gap/measurment between the Mag and the flywheel. Any websites with directions would be great. All help would be most appreciated.
Thanks in Advance,
Richard B.

Sponsored Links

MO

07-11-07, 07:19 PM   #2  
.01-.012, however make sure your new key is set properly, if not, you are wasting your time. Have a good one. Geo

07-11-07, 07:45 PM   #3  

Posted By: geogrubb .01-.012, however make sure your new key is set properly, if not, you are wasting your time. Have a good one. Geo
Thanks for your quick help! Because I did'nt have a wheel puller that would work with that size flywheel, I had the flywheel pulled and re-installed by a lawnmower repair shop, so I'm pretty sure that it was done right. I would have had them do the entire job but they wanted more than the mower was worth.
Thanks again,
Richard B.

NY

07-12-07, 02:36 AM   #4  
One would hope that a small engine repair shop torqued the flywheel nut properly so that you did not shear the key again. Tecumseh call for .012" gap for the armature to magnet clearance. If you are confident that the key did not shear again then it's time to look into a possible carburetor issue. Perhaps you simply have a carburetor bowl nut (main fuel jet) that has a restriction and need to be carefully cleaned out.

Search this Thread