Craftsman lawnmower wont start please help

Old 07-13-07, 07:40 AM
Craftsman lawnmower wont start please help

I have a Craftsman lawnmower model 917.270771 with a Briggs and Stratton motor model 42E707-2631-E1. I have previously had problems with it only running on one cylinder. I replaced the coil and rebuilt carburator. I started the mower and went around about 2 times and the mower just died and I haven't been able to get it started back. I have checked for spark by disconnecting small wire from coil and still no spark. Any suggestions what else to check for? Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-07, 10:13 AM
No spark with the kill wire unplugged indicates a bad coil. Did you replace the coil with a genuine Briggs coil? Be sure to ground the spark plug to a metal part of the engine when you check for spark.

Old 07-13-07, 11:36 AM
It was not a Briggs brand coil it was another brand

Old 07-13-07, 08:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like you have another bad coil, but double check everything first. If it is the coil, replace with a genuine briggs part. Befroe reattatching the kill wire, check it with a voltmeter while turning the key through all different positions to be sure it is not allowing any voltage to go to the coil through the kill wire. This will burn out a coil quickly.