Different Oil Question

Old 07-13-07, 01:17 PM
Different Oil Question

Okay, so I put in new oil, run engine for a minute, change again, etc. It's still black/grey. For the love of God is this normal? The engine is a little older, I just replaced the inlet needle and the carb is clean, looks normal, etc.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-07, 02:55 PM
what are you working on? how are you draining the oil? if your not getting it all out it will look dirty pretty fast.

Old 07-13-07, 03:28 PM
Some things that discolor oil...
-sludge in the pan
-aluminum filings from something that's coming apart or wearing excessively (generally sliver swirls in the oil)
-intake guides that are worn
-rings that are worn to the point of excessive blow-by
-scored cylinder wall or liner
-Crank vent open (not pulling air in thru the filter as it should, due to cracked, disconnected or broken hose or boot)
-crank breather not functioning as it should (disc valve bound or sticking)
-engine running excessively hot
-engine running at high rpms (over 3850)
-poor burn condition (fuel not being burned efficiently, due to wrong/bad plug, carburetion issues such as rich settings or air starvation)

Old 07-13-07, 04:29 PM
Well, I shouldn't admit this, but we're all safe behind a screen name, right?

As long as I have had this mower (and it's been through hell), I had never used the drain plug. I always thought tipping it over worked until I started going through the parts lists to order various new ones. So, I changed the oil about nine times (literally), running the engine for a few seconds and changing it again. Half a gallon of oil later, it is clean.

Old 07-13-07, 04:52 PM
Well, that answers your question about the oil being dirty... the block was never completely drained of the old oil. Also, this could very well have caused your gas smell, depending on which way you tipped the mower it could have allowed gas to run into the block. Even if the tank looked empty, there could have been enough left in the bottom, or in the bowl on the carb to contaminate the oil.

Search this Thread