Karcher Pres Washer Engine Replacement HELP!

Old 07-14-07, 05:48 PM
Karcher Pres Washer Engine Replacement HELP!

I have a Karcher power washer, model K2400 H H with a Honda GC160 5.0 engine. I can remove the engine from the chassis but how on earth do I remove the power washer unit OFF the Honda Engine? It has four bolts attaching it to the Honda Engine but something else is keeping it from coming off the engine. Anyone PLEASE PLEASE help me.

I was washing my house the other day. The Karcher unit as some of you might know was rumbling away and then I noticed pressure was down. Not suspecting anything I waited about 10 seconds before turning around and noticed the unit had rumbled itself right off the sidewalk down about 10 inches to the sand and laying on its side proceeded to smoke and seize... In other words, engine dead.

I can buy a new engine, replace it but I have to get the Karcher power washer (Actuation?) unit off the engine.

ANY help would greatly appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. I tried to remove the actuation unit and unbolted the top of the unit losing some of the oil. It doesn't look like normal engine oil. Any help in telling what oil to use there would also be a great help.

Last edited by Brian S; 07-14-07 at 05:52 PM. Reason: forgot a point...
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-07, 09:05 AM
Photo Pressure Unit

Here's a photo of the pressure unit I'm trying to remove from the Honda GC160

http://www.vonetzel.com/karcher2400.jpg

Old 07-15-07, 09:32 AM
whats circled in white you want to remove all 4 screws. not what has a red X on it

http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/6572/untitlednz8.jpg

Old 07-15-07, 09:57 AM
I did that but it doesn't just pull off. Do I need some sort of special tool to get it off of there?

Old 07-15-07, 09:57 AM
how long have you had it. Might be seezed to the shaft. you could try a crowbar or long flathead screwdriver

Old 07-15-07, 10:04 AM
OK, so you're telling me it's just pushed on there and I need to just get it off carefully? There's no screw or other weird thing keeping it installed?

Old 07-15-07, 11:22 AM
I've been carefully trying to pry it off and it doesn't budge a millimeter off. Is there a screw inside the pressure unit holding it to the Honda PTO?

Old 07-15-07, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by Brian S View Post
I've been carefully trying to pry it off and it doesn't budge a millimeter off. Is there a screw inside the pressure unit holding it to the Honda PTO?
I don't know. I don't have a diagram of the pump it self.

Old 07-15-07, 11:55 AM
Does it slide back any at all? Some washers, I think, have set screws or pins at the shaft. I also have a K Archer. I may need to know this in the future as I have leaking seals. But hey, 25 bucks! I'm satisfied even if it is ony 15psi. All I will likely need.

BY the way, their website has a number you can call if you need to. Also shows online manuals but no disassemble info. Does show diagrams, but they are no help in a situation such as yours.

Old 07-15-07, 05:51 PM
Not a bit. I've put in a 'help request' on the Karcher site. We'll see if they give 'this' kind of info out. I'm not expecting much.

Old 07-15-07, 11:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've seen some that were very hard to get apart. I had one that I had to resort to smashing the pump housing to access the shaft and cut it off. I was saving the engine, not the pump, on that one.

Old 07-16-07, 02:24 AM
This is simply a standard straight crankshaft with a straight key using no setscrews or anything other than the four allen-head screws that mount the entire pump assembly to the engine. It is merely being stubborn in coming off the engine's crankshaft. Do your best to spray some penetrant (I like B'Laster) onto the crankshaft and allow it to soak in for few hours and then use a suitable tapping on the heavy part of the pump housing to jar it off. Upon reassembly, be sure to use an anti-seize lubricant on the crankshaft before you fit up the new pump.

Old 07-16-07, 03:22 AM
Brian, go with what these guys are saying. Makes sense to me. I only repeated what I thought I had read somewhere about some washers. Whatever kind it was, it made me wonder how they got to the set screw or whatever. No experience with a situation like this....yet. Shame you can't just spray it, let it soak, tap on it to activate the penetrating oil (PB Blaster) and start the engine to let it vibrate off without damaging something. Maybe a wooden block and rubber mallet is called for here. Let us know what you do.

Old 07-16-07, 08:01 AM
You guys are absolutely right. Just received this directly from Karcher;

There are only four bolts that hold the pump onto the engine. I suggest you contact the distributor listed below for assistance.

www.pressureparts.com (or) 800-999-2245

Now to just buck up, get out a block of wood and a mallet and have at it. I'll post back with a photo when and if I get the thing off... I'll put some b'laster on it tonight and give it a few days or so to sit.

Old 07-16-07, 06:00 PM
FOR ALL TO KNOW:

The pressure unit came off with a 2"x4" and a hammer. Consistent pounding took it off the shaft. Much crud inside the area but cleaned up nicely with brake clean. Oiled it immediately to prevent rust. Only pounded my hand once with the hammer.

Old 07-16-07, 06:10 PM
Proper Installation

When you put the pump on the new engine, make sure you use a good dose of anti-sieze compound on the crank shaft and key. That will make it easier for the next time and reduce the amount of rust. A heavy grease on the key will help hold it in place when sliding the pump on. Do not forget to add oil to the pump for that lost when you cracked the pump open. Check the Karcher website for the pump you have for the correct type. Another thing to remember, is that if the pump is to be stored for any period, to use a pump saver (lube & anti freeze) to displace the water in the pump and help it to function properly when used again. Many of the companies have a product for this purpose. 90 percent of the pumps I service have had water left in them for a period of time and the valving sticks to where they do not build up pressure.

Old 07-16-07, 06:22 PM
Good news, glad you got it off with no breakage and thanks for the update.

Old 07-17-07, 07:30 AM
"Only pounded my hand once with the hammer"

Your good! Thanks for the update here also.

Search this Thread