Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman motor replacement

ME

07-16-07, 04:56 PM   #1  
Craftsman motor replacement

I have a Craftsman lawn tractor model 917.270670 with a blown motor. I found a model 917.270940 for sale and was wondering if the motors would be interchangeable. I think it has a 19HP motor, vs the 16HP that was in mine. I know some of the B&S motors are interchangeable, but I cannot find any info at all on the model 917.270940. Anyone know if these will match up without modification?

Sponsored Links

NY

07-16-07, 06:09 PM   #2  
The bolt pattern should be exactly the same but you may not have the room in the engine compartment on your single-cylinder equipped chassis for the opposed twin cylinder that you're looking at to replace the engine with. Other than the size issue will be control cable length issues, charging circuit wiring/configuration compatibility issues, and, crankshaft diameter and length issues, with the latter being the most critical so that you don't have to mess with finding new, correct crank pulley(s) to keep the belting the same in relation to length and alignment of both belts.

ME

07-16-07, 06:25 PM   #3  
Thanks for the reply. Sounds as if it may be more trouble than its worth. Let me ask you a reverse scenario.

The lawn tractor that has the good engine (917.270940) apparently has a bad transmission. I'm sure the tranny out of mine would not fit,but I'm wondering how hard of a time I would find getting a replacement tranny in this mower, vs. getting a replacement motor for my own mowor? Any thoughts? I've researched replacement motors and its up around 700 or 800. Just wondering the difficult of finding a transmission for this other one.

thanks

NY

07-16-07, 06:58 PM   #4  
The machine you're looking at has a Hydro Gear LT-series hydrostatic transaxle, model 314-0510 and, if I'm not mistaken, should have the same mounting pattern as your machines Peerless shifter tranny, model 206-545C. Furthermore, I believe that the belt alignment should be the same other than a different size pulley on the hydro requiring a slightly shorter belt. The brake mechanism may be different but doable. Stay tuned for Cheese to post in with his ideas on this possible fit-up.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-16-07, 09:21 PM   #5  
I don't know the exact model #s, but I'm very sure you can swap the engines, and do it more easily than trying to swap trannies, although you should be able to do that as well. The bolt pattern and crankshaft size seldom varies from one craftsman to another. They're pretty much all the standard size (1" X 3 5/32" with 7/16-20 threaded hole, keyed). Any wiring or linkage changes will be minor, and you'll have a donor mower to get any parts from if necessary to make the swap properly.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

ME

07-17-07, 05:09 AM   #6  
guys I was given the wrong model # on the tractor I found. It is a 917.270820. Is this motor and/or tranny interchangeable with the 917.270670 that I own? sorry for wasting anyones time, hopefully there is not a big difference here. I can't seem to find any info on this model # either, but I'm not sure where to look other than google. Appreciate all the help.

MI

07-17-07, 06:04 AM   #7  
Posted By: wags1970 guys I was given the wrong model # on the tractor I found. It is a 917.270820. Is this motor and/or tranny interchangeable with the 917.270670 that I own? sorry for wasting anyones time, hopefully there is not a big difference here. I can't seem to find any info on this model # either, but I'm not sure where to look other than google. Appreciate all the help.
go to www3.sears.com enter the model number there.

ME

07-17-07, 06:19 AM   #8  
it doesn' t tell me what I need to know. Even the Sears parts dept doesn't offer any help.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

07-17-07, 08:21 AM   #9  
What is it exactly your looking for?
If you are looking for a cross reference chart of sorts, I don't believe there is one. I think, as has been stated already, that if your bolt pattern matches and the crankshaft is of the same dimensions, it should be a fairly basic swap.
If you are looking for the crankshaft dimensions in documentation, I don't think you will have much luck. I have not been able to find it myself.

Other than physically measuring the shafts, you might drop the pulley you intend to use and see if it fits any engine you may find.

ME

07-17-07, 08:34 AM   #10  
well now that I have the correct model # of the other mower, I was just looking for the same verification I received yesterday when I gave the wrong model. The problem is the lawn tractor with the good engine is 2 hours away from me, so I was looking for a general idea of the fit before I drive out there for nothing.

NY

07-17-07, 06:49 PM   #11  
The updated tractor model has a similar, opposed twin cylinder, Briggs engine as the incorrectly posted tractor has only a slightly smaller displacement and horsepower. And, for the tranny, apparently there could have been more than one tranny installed on the assembly line but, in either case, it will be a hydrostatic drive tranny and all of the information from the prior posts from me and Cheese should still apply.

Search this Thread