Craftsman tractor LT1000

Old 07-18-07, 04:26 PM
Craftsman tractor LT1000

Hello,

I have a craftsman tractor LT1000, model # 917.271651, 6 speed. It is about 5-6 years old.

My neighbor borrowed it for couple of days and when I used it next time it was difficult to change gears. Then, it stopped completely and it makes noise if I put it on forward or reverse gears. Is there a way that I can check it the transmission went bad? or could it be an easy problem?

I removed the back pannel so that I can look at the pully attached to the transmission, becuase I thought the drive belt might be the problem. Could it have become loose?

Many thanks for your advice.

Best reagrds,

Moonlight

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-07, 06:22 AM
Sounds like you got a bad case of borrowed tool syndrome. Maby your neighbor changed gears without stopping?

The top of the transmission comes off easy enough, but first grab the pulley on the tranny and see if it's loose.

Old 07-19-07, 08:25 AM
Re: Craftsman tractor LT1000

Dear MSIDAN,

Yes, the pully on top of the transmission is loose, especially when I take the drive belt out. Is this the way it is supposed to be?

Thanks for your help,

Old 07-19-07, 09:26 AM
I should have been more specific. The pulley will turn by hand, but does it wobble? Feel like you could pull it out? If so then on the inside end of the input shaft is an odd looking gear, held on by a small lock ring. This ring sometimes breaks and prevents the tractor from moving. After that, I've never been inside this type of transmission. If thats not your problem, then someone else can help you better.

Another thing you could do before tearing into this would be to check the keys on the hubs. With the engine running, put the tractor in any gear, get off and look at both hubs to see if the axle is turning. Even if just one key is broken it will not move.

Old 07-19-07, 11:17 AM
Craftsman LT1000

Yes, the pulley wobbles very much.

Where is the inside end of the input shaft? Is it the one that connects the pulley to the tranny or the one that changes the gears?

Thanks a lot,

Old 07-19-07, 12:29 PM
The input shaft is what the pulley is attached to. The inside end of the shaft is the end that's inside the tranny. Because of the wobble, I believe that ring I told you about earlier is broken. You will have to remove the transmission from the tractor frame and take off the top half of the tranny.

Old 07-19-07, 01:00 PM
Craftsman LT1000

Thanks a lot MSIDAN, at least we have some idea where the problem is.

Now I do not have a manual, and I never oppened a tranny before. Is it a difficult job? and if the ring is broken, where can I get a new one.

Many thanks,

Old 07-19-07, 02:51 PM
It's not that difficult. Once the tranny is off the frame, you should see a number of bolts that hold the top and bottom of the tranny together. Make sure you have a block of wood or something to hold the bottom in place because it will want to fall down if you don't take the wheels off.(which you don't have to)
Be sure to disattach any linkage that gos to the brake or anything else. You will probably have to remove the shifter arm too.

A new lock ring can be bought at your local hardware store for very cheap.

Old 07-19-07, 04:02 PM
Moonlight, I just don't want you to think it is as easy as msidan makes it sound. He's talking from an experienced point of view and knows what to expect when the case halfs are seperated. You need to know that the gears and shafts can come out with the top half of the tranny and they then may drop out when you're six inches away and you could then lose track of where each part (lots of mating gears and shafts) goes. When you do seperate the two halfs, be sure to try to keep all the gears and shafts with the bottom case half and the only parts to come out with the top half are the case half, itself, and the input shaft/gear. The Bentonite grease is very sticky and the parts may try to come out all febobbled. Be sure to look for screws toward the inside of the case half, not just around the perimeter, depending on the make and model tranny, there may be two or more screws toward the inside to remove before the case halfs will come apart.

Old 07-19-07, 06:13 PM
Craftsman LT1000

Thanks a lot Msidan and Puey61.

I am planning to try it on the weekend. Any advice to help me not to make a mess when I open the tranny will be appreciated. This is my first time to deal with these things.

Thanks and have a nice weekend.

Old 07-19-07, 08:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the input shaft is wobbling, you'll also need to replace the input shaft bearings, and very possibly the shaft itself. Then, you'll want to clean out the entire tranny, between every tooth and part because there will be tiny pieces of ultra-hardened metal from the needle bearings all in the tranny. These can get caught in a gear and foul up the whole insides if left alone.

Old 07-20-07, 07:17 AM
Craftsman LT1000

Dear cheese,
Thanks for your input.
Where can I get the shaft and the bearings. Would it be difficult to change them and clean the tranny without any previous experience.

When I open the tranny case do I expect that parts will pop up?
Or every thing will be in place?

Thanks,

Old 07-20-07, 08:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Be very methodical...if you can pay attention, remember how things go (or document closely with a digital camera), you can do this. Remove the top slowly and carefully like Puey61 said, parts can try to stick to the top half while you lift it off. Try to keep all parts with the bottom half, with the exception of the input shaft and the shifter. There is a spring and detent ball between the shifter and the top half of the case, so be aware of that so you don't lose them during disassembly.

Any decent small engine/lawnmower repair shop should have or be able to get the parts for you. I use a deep well socket to drive out the input shaft bearings. There should be 2 needle bearing assemblies for the input shaft.

Search this Thread