stihl fs 80 wont run

Old 07-18-07, 07:03 PM
stihl fs 80 wont run

hi guys , new here so kinda stick with me if you could .
i own a stihl as listed above , it will run when i squirt a little fuel in the carberater . till it runs out . cleaned the tank and fuel lines . filter is ok . what next , should i rebuild the carb. ?? any help would be greatly appreciated .. thanks hoot

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-07, 08:13 PM
Get a diaphgram/gasket kit,screw all adjustment screws to seat for reference purposes, take the carb apart, spray all the available holes, cracks and crevases with carb cleaner and compressed air or brake parts cleaner, brake parts cleaner is better since it doesn't leave residue or blow anything apart as compressed air has a tendency to do. Put it back together, set the adjustment screws where you found them and if the fuel lines and filter are ok you should be good to go. Have a good one. Geo

Old 07-19-07, 02:57 AM
thanks geo, i will pick up a kit today.. hoot

Old 07-19-07, 03:24 PM
well picked up the 13.00 kit , and a half hour later it was running like new .. thanks . hoot

Old 07-19-07, 03:44 PM
Wonderful, another success story, keep us bookmarked, Hoot, if you should need us in the future. Thanks Geo, good call and explanation.

Old 07-19-07, 05:31 PM
Talking

well here i go again . the thing ran great , used it for about 10 minets , shut it off , went inside ate dinner , came back out , now it will start , idels fine . but when i try to throttle it , it boggs down terable and wont rev up . just seems to be choking itself out or something . and you guys thought you was getting off easy<< . but this is the way things go for me .. thanks hoot

Old 07-19-07, 06:03 PM
Did your rebuild kit include an inlet needle? Did you soak the carburetor or otherwise clean the carb before you reconditioned it? If so, specifically how and with what cleaner? Does the carb have adjustable jets (needles)? If so, how many? And, if so, are there limiters on the needles so that you have only so much movement with them?

Old 07-20-07, 02:53 AM
Originally Posted by puey61 View Post
Did your rebuild kit include an inlet needle? Did you soak the carburetor or otherwise clean the carb before you reconditioned it? If so, specifically how and with what cleaner? Does the carb have adjustable jets (needles)? If so, how many? And, if so, are there limiters on the needles so that you have only so much movement with them?
i replaced anything and everything in the kit , it did have an inlet needle, i sprayed it down with brake cleaner , then blew it out with the air compresser.
there is only one adjustment screw in the carb. i returned it to where it was on the start of the rebuild ,i may tear it apart and clean it again today . might have picked something up . just seems lik eit is flooding now , or lik ethe choke is on . hoot

Old 07-20-07, 05:45 AM
well recleaned the carb , the thing is running good again , some one must have broken into my tool shed and put some dirt in it when i was eating dinner last night . it couldnt have been me that missed something.8^) thanks again , hoot

Old 07-20-07, 11:47 AM
Hey hoot,
I'd check to make sure they didn't put a little dirt in your gas can ;-) That may be where the dirt came from.

Old 07-21-07, 03:18 AM
zzzz1486, thanks , i did that already , had just about a quart left in the small can . its the same fuel i use for my chainsaws. dumped it out and put fresh in , i mix my fuel 2.5 gallons at a time , i cut alot of wood. and i buy fuel that dosnt contain that ethinol stuff. ( im not much of a speller) . i was told after awhile something in it turns to water . ?? thanks for the advise . alot of people think gas does not go bad , and it dosnt make a difference where you buy it , im alot happier buying better fuel .. hoot

Search this Thread