Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Older Sears Chain Saw Leaking fuel from underbelly seam

07-19-07, 10:40 AM   #1  
Older Sears Chain Saw Leaking fuel from underbelly seam

I have a Sears Craftsman chain saw Model 917.353750 (17" bar).. This saw has not been used for years.. Surprisingly, I was able to get it started and it runs really good!! Problem: It is leaking fuel from the center underbelly along a seam where the saw housing is joined. I can't tell from the owners manual if fuel actually is in contact with the seam or if there is a separate internal fuel tank, which if that the case, I suspect fuel must be sourced from the fuel line... Further problem is that Sears no longer has parts available for this model due to age (purchased in late 70s).. Question: anyone know the probable source of the leaking fuel??? Where can aftermarket parts be obtained for this saw model? thank you.. Jim

Sponsored Links

NY

07-19-07, 04:20 PM   #2  
My educated opinion after looking up your model number on Sears site would lead me to believe that this is a Homelite saw, although the 917 prefix on the model number typically indicates that it would be an AYP product. But I know this can't be true since, if is truely a late 70's vintage saw, it would have then been a Roper product, back then, and Roper never manufactured chainsaws but, perhaps, they had a contract with Homelite. Check in your local area for any old school Homelite dealers and bring the saw along for them to have a look at and confirm my suspicions. Specifically, I think this is an XL-12 model saw. Or, if you know how to post a link to pics of the saw, a picture is worth a thousand words. As for the fuel tank and, again, based on my lookup, I would say the tank is a two piece tank and that your suspicion that the case halfs with the gasket between them is indeed the fuel tank and could certainly, then, be leaking at such gasket. Post pics, if you can.

Search this Thread