Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

bar oil leaking into C.Chamber Homelite XL2

07-20-07, 05:45 PM   #1  
bar oil leaking into C.Chamber Homelite XL2

I have a small homelite XL2 chainsaw. When I tried to start it last week, I flooded it, and when I pulled the spark plug I noticed that bar oil is leaking into the combustion chamber. Is there a seal or something that is on the automatic oiler? It is a good little saw and I'd like to fix it. Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links

WI

07-21-07, 02:32 PM   #2  
illustration breakdown of saw

You might try (http://www.m-and-d.com/parts.html?id=InmHXj4N) website and check the online parts illustration. This will get you to EMPART web where you can either put in the UT- model number under the MODEL header or manually search the product line header for your unit. You might have to check several as there are many different XL 2 listings. I have not done an XL for some time and I believe that they have a separate oil tank. The oil is pumped to the bar by crankcase pressure changes in a diaphram pump. The pump might be causing a leak of oil into the crankcase but like I said, it has been some time since the last XL unit I worked on. I do remember a model that used a presureized tank that had a hose from under the carb that had a duck bill valve in the oil tank. Good Luck

TX

07-21-07, 04:16 PM   #3  
Most likely it's the duck bill valve that pressurizes the oil tank that is allowing bar and chain lubricant into the crankcase. Some models used only a pressurized oiler tank to feed oil to the bar, but even the ones with the diaphragm pump utilized a pressurized oil tank. I have seen many units that had the valve missing or fell off into the oil tank and would smoke excessivley due to the missing duck bill valve

07-22-07, 01:57 AM   #4  
re: bar oil leaking into C.Chamber

Thanks for the replies, I now remember replacing that duckbill valve about 4 years ago. Either it fell off in the tank or it is bad. Thanks again. The XL2 is such a cheap little saw, but I keep it for sentimental reasons, it belonged to my late father in law, that and it fits real handy in the plastic dairy crate strapped on my honda 90.

Search this Thread