Sears 18 inch pushmower problem ( 2cycle)

Old 07-28-07, 06:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sears 18 inch pushmower problem ( 2cycle)

hey group,

I have an old sears 2 cycle push mower that i am having problems with. Basically if i pour gas in the spark plug hole or thru the carb it will run for about 30 seconds.If i don't do this it will not start even a little. I took the lawnmower apart,cleaned the bowl, reed valves , cylinder head , I also cleaned the inlet strainer to the carb.I put the lawnmower back together again and it stayed the same ,,no change whatsoever. I feel like i missed something. its really frustrating. There is no owners manual, i am second owner and mower is at least 20 years old .
Thanx
Pleese help gascan

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-07, 06:35 PM
Cleaning the bowl area of the carburetor is likely not enough to clear out the carb. You should remove and soak and recondition the carburetor using the correct carb rebuild kit. You most likely have a Tecumseh engine on this mower and, if so, post back with the engine ID numbers so we can see, exactly, what you have. We can then recommend procedures and parts necessary to do a carb recon.

Old 07-28-07, 06:41 PM
will get id number

thanx,

i will get it tomorrow and send it..I'm lucky that the id tag stayed on it

signed,
gascan

Old 07-29-07, 09:54 AM
got id number

the model number for the sears lawnmower is 907022.
pleese let me know if any other info is required.

signed,
gascan

Old 07-31-07, 02:52 AM
First, I can't identify this number, it's clearly not a common Craftsman model number. Second, if it is, indeed, a Tecumseh engine then you will find ID numbers on the engine itself beginning with 143. On the chassis, a typical Craftsman model number will look like the following: XXX.XXXXX(X) (three digits, dot, five or six digits). I did try the number you posted but this yielded no results.

Old 08-02-07, 12:36 PM
first 3 numbers are 131

i have found the the first three numbers u requested .

they are 131.

i haven't found anything on the engine itself. Is there any where special i should be looking on the engine itself ?

thanx for any help you can give..sorry for the late reply;

gascan

Old 08-02-07, 02:58 PM
Just throwing out some info here but I think your 131.907022 is the model number for your mower. When I went to ww3.sears.com and put that in as the model number I came up with engine 200.283012. Hang in there.

Old 08-03-07, 02:50 PM
making progress ,,but still have empty bag in hand

thanx duigoose,

i went to the sears online parts web page,,and looked up the mower and found it. However i got a message that said We're Sorry.

Due to unavailability, the following parts can not be ordered.

631936 CARBURETOR 200283012

Does that mean never or are they are waiting for a new shipment ?

Also,is there anything else that i would need beside the carburator to fix my lawnmower ? I sorta thought there was rebuild kits for carburator's. But i guess if u buy the entire carb then it has already been rebuilt, would that assumption be correct?

If i am totally out of luck with that part never being stocked again ,,what are my options?

One last question,,can anybody ballpark the cost for that carb if Sears did have it?

Old 08-04-07, 11:02 AM
grass is still growing

guys,

i haven't gotten any feedback from my last post. I don't mean to nag but my grass is still growing. when the neighbors see me in the yard they look at my grass then back at me. I can only hide for so long.

pleese read my last post and give me some ideas on where to get parts.

thanx,
gascan

Old 08-04-07, 12:08 PM
The "not available" means ever, not back ordered. This is a 2 cycle carb correct? Mix oil & gas together? Hard to give info with knowing exactly what we are tlaking about. Can you post a picture of the carb on a free site so we can look at it.

You mentioned "I also cleaned the inlet strainer " of the carb. Is this a diaphram carb or a float?

If you cannot buy the carb your only clear choice is a thorough cleaning including dipping the body in a bath type cleaning, cleaning all holes with thin wire and blowing spray cleaner through with compressed air.

Old 08-04-07, 06:31 PM
heers what i got smallengineguy

thanx for telling me "the part never will be available", i wonder why they show you the parts and parts number and they dont even have it,.
the engine is a two cycle.
I doused this carb with enough clean gasoline to clean 10 carbs. I do not have compressed air but maybe a trip to the the gas station i could use theirs.The picture on the sears web site make the carb look like a rock,,pretty useless, but then most scanned pics are.

i still haven't got the technology to post pics from home yet. what free sites to post from are you referring to?

the carb is a float.

The carb parts do look pretty worn out.

Lawn mower on the sears site is , 131.907022.

what is involved in disassembling the carb ? if u could give me quick walk through on how to do it,,i will attempt it.

are there any after market fits all carbs that can be installed in place of the old one?

thanx agin,,gascan

Old 08-04-07, 11:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
gas won't clean the carb. You need carb cleaner, preferably a gallon of bath type cleaner to soak it in.

A small engine shop might be able to tell you more about your carb and might also have parts for it. Just because sears doesn't sell it anymore doesn't mean it's not available at all.

Old 08-05-07, 07:24 AM
idea for parts cleaning fluid,,tell me what u think cheese

cheese,

i was thinking about using a water based cleaning solvent that i have available to me. perhaps in a deep fryer to add some heat. I have heard and don't know if its true or not,that if i change the water based solvent in the deep fryer with atf after i clean the part and heat the atf it will remove the water from the part.
i actually have that stuff laying around ,versus buying parts cleaner.
i will check into ur suggestion about a small engine shop. The problem i have found with them is u have to get by their phone receptionist to talk to a mechanic. the gal on the phone don't want u fixing ur own mower ,,so just keeps saying,,u got to bring it in.
if u know a shop that has a mechanic that will talk direct with a diy'er send me an email with their phone number. i have unlimited long distance so it doesn't matter where they are located. well, perhaps with the exception of Borneo.
thanxx,,gascan

Old 08-05-07, 08:44 AM
hey, I'm all for finding a new way of doing things concerning the water based stuff and fryer but I would worry about the stuff cleaning the small passages in the carb. I wonder about the heat too.
I'm just a guy that likes to try and fix stuff and help folks (don't have a shop nor do I work in one) but my reasoning behind shop folks not giving a whole lot of help over the phone is if they did they would be on the phone all day and not making money plus it's even harder to help over the phone than it is in this setting. The only mechanic I know that will talk all day on the phone is sadly in Borneo so....Besides there appears to be a bunch of very experienced people in this forum. Might not always be as fast as a phone call but you can't beat the price and the help.
My thought would be to just take the carb to a shop to see if there were some rebuild parts that would work for it. If there are I bet they would clean and rebuild it cheaper than the time and effort it would take for you to do all the legwork and labor. There is my $0.01

Old 08-05-07, 09:23 PM
more hoorumph and sorta getting frustrated now

duigoose,

imho,,some of the water based degreasers they have out now actually outperform the traditional cleaners. I also was in harbour freight once within the this last year and saw a reely nice modest priced ultrasonics cleaner but passed on it,
as u suggested i'm sorta leaning to just pulling the carb and bringing it to a shop when i have my car worked on and getting a price. i cant make a trip just for that because of the price of gasoline is too high.
i am reely disillusioned that i cant get parts.that there isn't somethin on the net for obsolete lawnmowers.
I know of companies that work on large industrial machines and stock parts for these compressors,turbines ,ship engines etc. as well. i also know of just strictly parts company that give u choices on the manufacturers and whether u want oem or knock offs. Some of the machines are dated from WW2 and they have parts for these machines delivered overnight. Its like how many gizbo;s u want and we can overnight them. Mind u i'm talking about industrial machines but how much difference is there between apples and oranges anyway. they both come from the supermarket. its like no big deal with parts for the heavy hitters.
there has to be somewhere out there were lawnmower parts can be ordered regardless of how old the mowers be,,.im thinking carlsbad, but i dont know why.
ps: i have stooped to using my weedwacker to cut grass now. the neighbors oddly enuff seem to be okay with that. ...go figure

anyhow,
gotta go,,thanx for ur one cent

Old 08-05-07, 09:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You're talking with small engine shop owners right here, but you can't buy parts for your carb from us (unless you intend to drive all over the country). You need to take it to a shop to get parts, or call with the part #s and see if they have them in stock or can get them.

Carb cleaners are intended to break down the varnish that clogs passages without harming the plastics, aluminum, brass, etc... that is in a carb. Most cleaners won't touch the varnish that builds up in carbs... not even a lot of the heavy-duty degreasers.

Turbines, ship engines, and industrial equipment is intended to last for more than 10 years, parts for them are usually much too valuable to write-off and dispose of, and many factories can't switch out entire systems just becasue of a small part failure, so parts for them are readily available sometimes even 60 or 70 years after the equipment is made. Lawnmowers....not so much. When was the last time you saw a neigbor cutting his grass with a WWII era lawnmower?

Even so...this is why I suggest checking with a small engine shop. They may have the part. Like I said before, just becasue sears doesn't sell the part anymore doesn't mean nobody does. Sears didn't even make the thing in the first place.

Old 08-06-07, 08:07 AM
carb may set in a shop's cleaning tank

Hey cheese,

I will probably have the carb set in a shop's cleaning tank,,providing the price is right.
Their used to be a degreaser on board ship that was called navee42. the stuff had a moth ball smell to it ,worked great,was non flammable. They changed the formula many yeers ago and now it doesn't work. sorta mentioned that cuzz i was remembering the stuff.
I also remember a one stroke gasoline engine that was on some reely small fishing boats,,cira 1910 ?? i think,up to 1962 they made parts for it. dont ask me how it works ,,cuzz i dont know, all i remember is the sound of the motor,,,put,,,,,,put,,,,,put,,,,,,put.
i can understand why parts for small engines are discontinued but alot of times i heer peeps say,,"U can't get it"" I have been a parts chaser before and if someone asked me for an item,,stock or non -stock and i said ,,it aint gonna happen they wood have ridden me out on a rail. I see antique cars were i live that are not critical to anything and they can parts delivered even on weekends, or soo says the neighbor.
Anyway ,,i sorta got on my soapbox cuzz i see alot of this happening now.
At one time i had a ship part machined. I had a packaging company make up the same style packaging they used for the part, I put in the box a hand written description of what I had done ,,and mailed that part to the company that was still in business and said in the message,,,OKay you now have the part,,mail it back to me. I wasn't happy when i did this either.

well,,sorry to rant and rave,thanx for ur help
i should run for president,,things would be different
gascan

Old 08-06-07, 09:56 AM
hey folks - just for my knowledge sake, does anyone know who made the engine on this thing? Most times when I look up sears stuff on their website it tells who made the engine and what not. This time it just says Craftsman and I don't know who the 200 prefix belongs to.

gascan, reason I ask this is like cheese said, the parts are probably out there but you are having trouble because the part numbers sears uses are different from the equipment manufacturer part numbers. Also, after 20 years of use I would pat that mower on the back and treat it to some carb parts as well as the good soaking.

Old 08-06-07, 02:30 PM
Thumbs up maybe of help,,dont know

if it helps i can see if i can get a chip off a cast part and flame test it for arsenic content. Alot of different nationalities have different concentrations of impurities in the smelts. Mind u the accuracy wont be all that but i may be able to narrow it down.. for example indonesia. I used to do it occasionally on "something,something", that were found, and yess,,they were casted too.
if we can get a compiled list of manufacturers and were their factories were actually based we might get some good prospects.
anyway ,please read duigoose post before this one ,,looks like were on a roll. yehhhhh
arrrrrrr,
gascan

it may be too late for this one,,but if could find some of the original packing grease on the mower,i could also determine if a plant fat was used and that could help too..but i doubt if any is still there. hmmm ,,just thinking out loud

Old 08-07-07, 07:30 AM
not so good luck

well folks,

it seems my luck mighta gone south. yesterday a neighbor ( we"ll call him bob )
saw me using my weedwacker in place of a lawnmower. Well this isn't the same neighbor who saw it and seemed okay with it. anyhow ,bob quizzed me on whats wrong with my lawnmower. I came clean and told him thinking honesty is best policy. He went back towards his house and disappeared for a while.
He came back later with a wheel barrel and some thin in it.Well that something was a large rock and he said,," while laughing " Here..roll the rock on ur grass to flatten it down like the flintstones,,,hee,hee.
i think i turned red and bob knew he got to me. i dont know how much longer i can wait until i get this mower fixed, my status in the neighborhood is at stake.
Can anybody help with the parts ??
ur fellow gearhead,
gascan

Old 08-07-07, 03:21 PM
The model 131.xxxxx is American Yard Products (AYP), I find no reference for the 200.xxxx engine, however the carb looks like something from a Clinton. Can you find any markings on the engine or engine schroud anywhere or on the carb, get your hands dirty and help us help you. Have a good one. Geo

Old 08-07-07, 05:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ok, I looked this thing up. It's obviously a Tecumseh engine. Parts should be available from a small engine shop.

Old 08-07-07, 08:04 PM
Smile more clues,,thanx

I found a distributor on line that has an AYP Power Equipment Parts List Database. I will try removing the shroud looking for a number . If nothin happens there i will proceed to the carb which has got to come off anyway.
It may be a day or two before u hear from me agin as my day tomorrow is planned for udder stuff. thanx for the manufacturer name. i will get back to the group and let u know how i made out.

I would like to know how geogrubb found out the manufacturer. was it from prior experience with the model number or some tech manual with that info ??

thanx,
gascan

Old 08-07-07, 10:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The 131 was actually the prefix for Roper, which was later bought by AYP. 200 is one of the prefixes for Tecumseh. Sears uses a 3 digit prefix for every supplier they use. Here is a list of sears prefixes and the corresponding company names: http://www.outdoordistributors.com/Craftsman/Craftsman_Search.html

Your mower looks to be closer to thirty years old than twenty.

Old 08-08-07, 03:52 AM
Comfortably assuming this is indeed a model 131.907022 with an engine model 200.283012 then this is, as Cheese indicated, closer to 30-years old than twenty. The 200 prefix does indicate that it is a Tecumseh 2-stroke engine and based on this number, the critical parts you should purchase (and they're still available, mind you) are: 631021B, inlet kit; 632019, float; 631937A, bowl nut/main jet; 510323A, carb mounting gasket; And, 510110A, reed plate gasket. These, along with a can of Napa # 6402, Briggs & Stratton spray cleaner # 100042, and, ideally, compressed air, should get you back up and running. Strip the carb down to the bare carb and soak it in the Napa cleaner for 20-30 minutes, spray it clean with the Briggs cleaner, blow it out with compressed air and then install the above Tecumseh parts. NOTE: If the fuel inlet fitting is plasitic (but I believe it not to be) then you should limit your soak time in the Napa cleaner to no more than 15 minutes and then spray off and, if needed based on the amount of varnish buildup, allow to air dry for a half hour and then soak again for another 15 minutes. The Tecumseh parts and the Briggs cleaner should be found at any small engine shop and the Napa cleaner is found at any Napa store.

Old 08-08-07, 04:05 PM
Talking thanx puey61,cheese,and geogrubb

puey , i checked out the parts numbers at an online distributors web page and those parts are identical to what's in the mower now, the web page had pictures of the parts and i recognized them. prices looked good too !
I got the mower twenty yeers ago from a garage i was cleaning out. the previous owner had already gone on to his reward so i couldn"t ask him as to when he got it.
if i have any problems after i cleen and change parts i will yell out.

time for a story,,
I once had to get a leather packing piece for the back of a mechanical rod packing set. It was impossible to find, Come to find out the reason it was no longer made was because leather is deemed a dangerous organic substance for spreading disease. I think because they tann the leather for couches and the like is why they are okay. Only leather would work. The vendor suggested a leather smith and to find one in farm country. i want to believe i was getting the straight dope on this,,but i dunno,,,

thanx for everbody's help,
much appreciated,
gascan

Old 08-08-07, 08:08 PM
Sorry gascan, a leather smith is like a black smith, silver smith, gold smith and all the others, not to be rude but you seem to be more into story telling than fixing so I am going to check out on this post. Have a good one. Geo

Old 08-09-07, 03:25 PM
Cool its a true story

the manufacturer did not want the liability of handling untanned leather due to the fact it was considered an infectious agent. Mind you farmers handle this infectious agent everyday and also put the milk on your table.
The vendor basically said if i wanted the part i would have to find a leather smith to make it because there was no other way i was gonna get it. The manufacturer would not subcontract out that work because it does not absolve them from fault because they would have paid for this work to be done,,"knowing that untanned leather is not safe" ,,,and legally that insinuates fault.
i have a boat load of udder stories if anyone is interested.
some of them you will bust your belly laughing

signed,
gascan

Old 08-10-07, 08:08 AM
hey gascan. I find your stories interesting but even more people would get to enjoy them if you posted them in the general discussion part of the forums. Only folks interested in a lawnmower problem read these posts so your audience is limited. Let us know if you need help getting to there. How did the mower turn out?