help with a lawn chief

Old 08-05-07, 02:26 PM
help with a lawn chief

hi i just bought what i believe is an 1983 murray lawn chief, 11hp briggs and a 36" cut. i got everything working on it but i need help getting belts and clutch adjusted. it had no belts on it so i had to figure everything out. it seems that i dont have something right because i can only get it to move when i put it in 1-2-or 3rd position with the handle and it seems to not change in any position so i have to control speed with throttle. ive tried to adjust the rod from the shifter to the variator? and the one all the way in back brake? even though breke doesnt work. can anyone give me the proper procedure for adjusting the shifter linkage and clutch/brake pedal or tell me where i could find a service manual on line. cant seem to find much on my own. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-07, 09:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Do you have belts on it that are OEM, or just matched up belts that fit? On systems with a vari-drive pulley, it is pretty critical to have the EXACT size belts as required by the manufacturer for the system to work right. If not, you will have the problems you're experiencing.