Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Brigss and Stratton Carb Rebuild

TX

08-06-07, 03:42 PM   #1  
Brigss and Stratton Carb Rebuild

I have a 6.25 hp B&S lawn mower motor which was not getting fuel. I rebuild the carb, well attempted anyways. Now, once I reconnect the fuel lead, the lower bowl fills up and start to overflow out the primer hole. The fuel will sparatically shoot out into the carb if you prime it. I know all lines throughout the carb are clear since I ttook an air gun to them. It seems like the needle will not shut-off fuel to the bowl. Any ideas? Do you guys need more info?

Furthermore, it still won't run. I figured I need to fix the first problem before asking about the second...if it doesn't run then.

Thanks,

Adam
[email protected]

Last edited by DIYaddict; 08-06-07 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Email address edited. This is not allowed and it will protect your email from being filled w/spam

Sponsored Links

WV

08-06-07, 04:29 PM   #2  
Are you sure that the needle is hooked to the float right?

WI

08-06-07, 05:45 PM   #3  
One of the things many customers do when rebuilding the carbs themselves is that they blow the seat out of the needle valve and then the fuel runs straight through. Take the carb off and look under the needle valve for a soft plastic type seat that is pressed in. B&S usually uses a red seat. If you lost the seat, your B&S dealer will have a needle and seat kit. $$.

TX

08-06-07, 06:55 PM   #4  
I actually replaced the needle seat. That was what was clogging things up in the first place. When I connect the fuel to the carb with the bowl not attached, the needle stops the flow with very little pressure in the float (mimic of fuel filling the bowl and floating the float). However, once the bowl is connected and the fuel is attached, the overflow begins...

I'm actually quite mechanically inclined, but this has me stumped...

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-06-07, 09:01 PM   #5  
Is there a dent in the side of the bowl?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

TX

08-07-07, 05:27 AM   #6  
there are no dents...

FL

08-07-07, 06:35 AM   #7  
Is the float floating?

TX

08-07-07, 01:46 PM   #8  
I'm thinking not? Impossible to tell since the bowl is not clear. Without the bowl on, it takes very little lift on the float to stop the flow of gas...

08-07-07, 01:59 PM   #9  
Simple, take the float out and put it in a container of water. If it sinks, replace the float

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-07-07, 05:13 PM   #10  
Actually, put it in a cup of gas instead of water. Gas is lighter than water, so if the float is full of gas, it could still float in a cup of water.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread