Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Mtd Ride On Mower

AK

08-07-07, 12:13 AM   #1  
Mtd Ride On Mower

Hi i have a Mtd ride on mower with a 38" inch cutting deck
the machine starts but after cutting grass for a short time it stops
i have heard/read that it could be a solinoid ?? please help

Sponsored Links

NY

08-07-07, 05:50 AM   #2  
Can you be a little more specific? Does it die slowly, or quickly like you turned the key off? Will it start back up again?

Also, we need your engine brand and numbers off the shroud as well as the chassis numbers to better help you.

PA

08-07-07, 01:47 PM   #3  
Try it with the gas cap loosened a little so that air can get in the tank. If that fixes it, then you just need to clean out the vent hole in the cap.

AK

08-07-07, 05:16 PM   #4  
[QUOTE=msidan;1213698]Can you be a little more specific? Does it die slowly, or quickly like you turned the key off? Will it start back up again?

Also, we need your engine brand and numbers off the shroud as well as the chassis numbers to better help you.[/QUOTE

Thank you for your speedy reply

The moter dies slowly , it does start again but it only runs for a few seconds then cuts out again with a back fire.

Model is M 675F
The engine is a Brigg's and Stratton14.5 OHV
Engine model number is 287707
Type 0224-01

I hope this helps

Thanks again.

AK

08-07-07, 05:36 PM   #5  
Posted By: bontai Joe Try it with the gas cap loosened a little so that air can get in the tank. If that fixes it, then you just need to clean out the vent hole in the cap.
Thank you i tried that but it still has the same problem.

AK

08-07-07, 05:40 PM   #6  
[QUOTE=Jilliby;1214054][QUOTE=msidan;1213698]Can you be a little more specific? Does it die slowly, or quickly like you turned the key off? Will it start back up again?

Also, we need your engine brand and numbers off the shroud as well as the chassis numbers to better help you.[/QUOTE

Thank you for your speedy reply

The moter dies slowly , it does start again but it only runs for a few seconds then cuts out again with a back fire.

Model is M 675F
The engine is a Brigg's and Stratton14.5 OHV
Engine model number is 287707
Type 0224-01

I hope this helps

Thanks again
Jilliby.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-07-07, 11:00 PM   #7  
Can you choke it a little and get it to stay running a little longer? If so, it's a fuel starvation issue.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

AK

08-07-07, 11:12 PM   #8  
Posted By: cheese Can you choke it a little and get it to stay running a little longer? If so, it's a fuel starvation issue.
Thank you !!!

I also fogot to mention that the choke cable/ lever is very hard to move in or out.

thanks
Jilliby

NY

08-08-07, 03:16 AM   #9  
First, we may need more ID information than you provided, along with the partial chassis model number you posted, we need the complete chassis ID numbers, model and serial, found under the seat of the machine and in addition to the model and type numbers you posted for the engine you will also find a code number and this will be either on the blower shroud or the rocker cover of the engine. Try the part choke trick that Cheese suggested and post back with your results in doing this. FYI, it is very common for the choke control cables on MTD products to bind up and you will want to replace this but I can't give you a part number for such without the complete ID numbers from the chassis.

AK

08-11-07, 07:02 AM   #10  
MTD ride on Mower

Posted By: puey61 First, we may need more ID information than you provided, along with the partial chassis model number you posted, we need the complete chassis ID numbers, model and serial, found under the seat of the machine and in addition to the model and type numbers you posted for the engine you will also find a code number and this will be either on the blower shroud or the rocker cover of the engine. Try the part choke trick that Cheese suggested and post back with your results in doing this. FYI, it is very common for the choke control cables on MTD products to bind up and you will want to replace this but I can't give you a part number for such without the complete ID numbers from the chassis.
Thank you for your time, i ended up fixing the problem by replacing the fuel filter. It runs great now !!! its nice when its that simple.
regards Jilliby.

NY

08-11-07, 05:00 PM   #11  
Great! Glad it was that simple.

Post the numbers puey requested and he can give you a part number for the choke cable.

AK

08-13-07, 06:30 PM   #12  
Thanks

Posted By: cheese Can you choke it a little and get it to stay running a little longer? If so, it's a fuel starvation issue.
You where right the first time it was a fuel issue, all i did was change the fuel filter and runs like a dream.

now all i have to figure out why the blade fell off i.e. threre is only one bolt holding the blade on to the shaft, i did find the bolt and it is not burred, how can i stop this happerning again, what about some locktite ?

NY

08-13-07, 08:03 PM   #13  
One of the blades just fell off? There should be a large, wide washer, one smaller washer, and a lock washer that all go on the shaft before the nut. And the nut has to be REALLY tight.
There should also be something called a blade adapter that goes on the shaft before the blade that makes the blade sit nicely.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-13-07, 10:44 PM   #14  
If it's the newer style with one NUT holding the blade on, then you just need to reinstall the nut and tighten it. If it's the older style with the splined blade adapter, then the blade should be attatched to the adapter with 2 nuts and bolts, then the assembly is attatched to the mower deck with one bolt. That's a total of 3 bolts going through the blade.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread