weedeater string trimmer

Old 08-07-07, 01:11 PM
weedeater string trimmer

my neighbor also gave me his weedeater string trimmer to fix and just now got around to looking at it. When I pour fuel into the spark plug hole it will fire and run off that but once thats gone it dies. I know the carb needs cleaning or a rebuild as its been in his garage for about 10 years. its a weedeater string trimmer model XR-20 lawn trimmer what carb kit part number do I need or could I just get away with cleaning and a new diaphragm. some other numbers I found on it under type and serial number C1160284 026423 hope those help.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-07, 02:38 PM
Those things are pretty cheap and you are going to spend a good bit of time trying to fix that one. I'd just buy a new one. JMHO

Old 08-07-07, 02:52 PM
You probably can get by with just a diaphgram/gasket kit. First check the routing on the fuel lines(draw a picture or something) as they will probably need replacing also. Remove the carb an find the mfg, model,type etc. It will probably be a Zama or Walbro both of their sites have a lot of good info about their carbs under Service/Aftermarket, www.zamacarb.com and www.walbro.com. Before disassembling the carb screw all adjustment screws to seat for reference during reassembly. Disassemble the carb and soak it in a good bath type cleaner then blow out all holes, cracks and crevases with brake parts cleaner(it doesn't leave a residue). If you are installing a complete rebuild kit I always suggest using the original metering arm unless it is very worn because it has the proper height adjustment. Reassemble, set all adjustments as you found them and you should be good to go. Have a good one. Geo

Old 08-08-07, 05:36 PM
its been sitting in his garage for about 10 years not being used.he had me look at it has he was cleaning out the garage thats why i also have the snowblower. What would the carb kit number be and the diaphragm kit number be so I can search.if its been sitting that long its going to need work. it will run with fuel poured into the spark plug hole but once thats gone it dies.sounds strong

Old 08-08-07, 05:51 PM
Wink

An XR-20 Weedeater trimmer would have had a Walbro carburetor on it. A K10-Wat rebuild kit would have all the parts you need to overhaul this carburetor.

Before you go and rebuild the carburetor you should check for compression, and spark. Also you might want to try to just prime the engine with a little fuel and see if it will fire off. This model trimmer had no clutch and was direct drive, so they are a little hard to start. Also check the air filter as it is a foam type and most likely is deteriorated. This unit also has a reed plate underneath the carburetor and it should be checked to make sure there is not anything caught in it and it can operate with no obstructions. You can gain access to the carburetor by removing the 4 screws that hold the plate covering the carburetor, just in front of the fuel tank.

Old 08-09-07, 07:24 PM
this the right kit

http://www.m-and-d.com/ST-615-245.html

Old 08-09-07, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by flirty1 View Post
this the right kit

http://www.m-and-d.com/ST-615-245.html
Yes thats the correct kit....