Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Keeping Briggs & Straton Lawnmower engine running

08-08-07, 11:18 AM   #1  
Keeping Briggs & Straton Lawnmower engine running

My tw0 year old lawnmower engine starts fine buts looses power then quits.
After a time will start again, but the time of running seemed to be less and less.
Appears that it has a gas problem and I am not a handy man,with small engines. wish I were thanks Jack

Sponsored Links

FL

08-08-07, 11:33 AM   #2  
Post some model numbers from your engine and folks will be glad to help. Let us know if you need help finding them. So far my novice self is guessing fuel problem too.

NY

08-14-07, 03:01 AM   #3  
What's the status of your trouble and diagnosis, Rosegrower? If still unresolved, as Goose indicated, post back with specifics. Walk-behind mower? Riding mower? Post back with ID numbers off the chassis as well as brand and ID numbers of the engine?

08-18-07, 10:28 AM   #4  
I hope I can tack on to this thread.

I have the same issue. I have a craftsman 6.5hp mower. (model 917.388510) If I prime the mower, it will start. however it will die once that primed fuel is gone. If I start it and then continue to press the prime button it will continue to run.

I have change the oil, gas, spark plug, air filter, and the blade (I know it's not this, just wanted to add) and no difference.

I then took off the air filter and the gas line. I sprayed brake cleaner around the engine and in the carburetor. I then replaced the gas line because the old one was dry rotted. I checked the nozzles in the gas tank and the engine and both were clean.

I've had the mower for about 4 years and have completely neglected it until today. :-(

It worked fine the last time I used it, the only thing I did before I tried to run it was add gas.

AL

08-18-07, 01:03 PM   #5  
Rosegrower,Sounds to me thet you might have a fuel venting problem.Ether the vent in the cap is cloged or there is something inside the tank floating down and covering the outlet hole.

MO

08-18-07, 01:16 PM   #6  
krstofer
start yourself a new post so it isn't so confusing, I don't think you have the same problem and things get real messy and confusing when we are trying to solve 2 different issues at the same time. Have a good one. Geo

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-18-07, 08:17 PM   #7  
I think you need to clean the carburetor krystofer.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread