Trimmer: Idle to full speed bog and stall

Old 08-08-07, 11:18 AM
Trimmer: Idle to full speed bog and stall

Well, I must be getting out of the wrong side of bed these days! What worked great last week doesn't work right today. More specifically, my John Deere C1200 trimmer suddenly doesn't want to run at any rpm above idle and the idle isn't so smooth anymore either. Give it a little gas and it just lays down and dies.

What I've done/looked at:

Got spark

Clean fuel

Removed carb/needle and clean out passages with carb clearner and compressed air

Fiddled with both the low and high speed adjustments

Result:

I can proudly say that it doesn't run a damn bit better.

Any suggestions will be humbly accepted.

thanks,

barry

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-07, 11:29 AM
check your muffler and/or exhaust port for excessive carbon buildup. look real close at the spark arrestor screen in the muffler. I'm not familiar with your trimmer so I'm just guessing this is a 2-cycle

Old 08-08-07, 06:02 PM
Also you might want to look for a possible source of an air leak. Look for a loose carburetor and or insulator. Check the cylinder and crankcase cover on top make sure they are good and tight. Check your fuel line and make sure it does not have any pin holes in it. Last but not least, check the fuel pickup filter.

If all of the above check out then the other possibility is a problem with your carburetor.

Old 08-08-07, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by duigoose View Post
check your muffler and/or exhaust port for excessive carbon buildup. look real close at the spark arrestor screen in the muffler. I'm not familiar with your trimmer so I'm just guessing this is a 2-cycle
I can agree here. I have seen 2 John Deere weedeaters do the same exact thing. New muffler pretty much set them good to go (don't know if screen is in there too though). All in all, much better performance. Not brand-spanking new, but much, much better.

Old 08-08-07, 09:27 PM
I agree with the carbon build up in the muffler but also check that intake air filter and make sure it's clean too.

Old 08-09-07, 08:16 AM
Trimmer: Idle to Speed bog and stall

Thanks to All for the good suggestion on the bogging problem.

I'll check for carbon in the exhaust port and muffler screen if equipped. I'll also double check the fuel lines too.

I'll let you guys know what I find this weekend for the curious among you.

many thanks for the help,

barry

Old 08-10-07, 09:34 AM
Right on target!!

Thanks Guys you were dead-on with the plugged exhaust. The spark arrestor screen was 98% plugged!! I'm surprised it ran as well as it did during the last couple of weeks before cleaning it.

It starts great and really runs well.

I do appreciate all the input.

thanks again,

barry

Old 08-10-07, 04:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
zoomzoom, glad to hear you got it fixed. Great bunch of folks here, huh?