Sputtering B&S

Old 08-09-07, 07:07 AM
Sputtering B&S

My 16 hp briggs engine will run fine for a few minuts but after a bit it starts losing power and sputtering, even more going up hill. I can idle it and it does fine but when start off again it starts to cut out. It is a used mower and if I could fix it myself witch Im sure I have the ability "maybe" that would be great. I just have no idea where to start. New plugs and wires?

model#42A707

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-07, 08:05 AM
It sounds like it has a fuel restriction, you might start by installing a new fuel filter. Have a good one. Geo

Old 08-09-07, 05:54 PM
I would also check the plugs and the air filter. When it looses power do you notice if there is any black smoke coming out of the muffler?

Old 08-10-07, 06:10 PM
Question putt putt

Thanks for the feedback. I put on a new fuel filter and it did not help. No I don't see any black smoke either. It has not died but comes real close to it. It seems like any extra work you give it makes it worse. I can drive ok or not to bad but when I engage the blades it gets worse and going up hill it struggles. The worst is when I go on an incline with the right side of the mower up hill. I will work on the pluggs and wires next. The air filter looks good. I wonder if there is some kind of safty switch that is messing with it because my deck is messed up also. My blades spin all the time.

Old 08-10-07, 07:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like it's running on one cylinder. I suggest replacing the spark plugs first.

Old 08-13-07, 04:12 AM
The plug wires are not replaceable without replacing the iginition coil, so just replace the plugs first and go from there. As for the blades spinning all the time, if you're sure the belt is correct then you likely have either missing/broken belt guide(s) or a deck alignment issue.

Old 08-13-07, 06:56 PM
Smile

Thanks you all have been real helpfull. I changed the plugs and it ran a little better then i changed the oil it looked to be overfull. It ran real good then. My battery is dead now after i ran about twenty min and the battery wont charge back up so I guess it is just shot. Thanks again you guys have been real nice. If I have any more problems I'll be sure to come back here.

Old 08-14-07, 02:53 AM
Changing the oil should have no direct effect on the performance so I wouldn't necessarily say you have rectified your trouble. Exactly how far above the full mark on the dipstick was the oil level? Was the mower on a known level surface when you checked the oil level? Smell your oil and get a feel if there may be fuel in the oil. If so, this would explain the overfilled condition and would then indicate a carburetor in need of cleaning and reconditioning. I'm inclined, however, as is Cheese, to say you have a weak ignition system by way of the coil.

Old 08-15-07, 06:42 AM
Unhappy Not so fast

Yes I posted to fast. My problem is back in full effect. It did run very good and then I shut it down could not get it started back up due to dead battery. The battery is toast it will not hold a charge for long. I charged it in the evening and put it in to find it was dead already. I got it charged again enough to start the mower and when I started to cut grass the engine got weak again. Even when I disengage the blades it still was spitting and sputtering. If I sat there in nuetral it would idle back up strong. It would almost die again on an incline with the left side of the tractor downhill. So ignition coil and wires? I still have the oil I drained out of it. I'll check it for fuel smell. I just dont get why this problem comes and goes like it does. Just like the other day when I thought it was fixed, I ran it for about twenty to thirty minutes and put it through all the paces with no trouble. As soon as I started the next day it was no good from the start. It did that once before I got the front yard done fine and when I started the back bam no good. I still am very thankfull for all the help and hopefully I'll get this pegged down. Also when I changed the plugs the old ones were black. It will be a few day for me to mess with it as I'm a night shift guy on 12 hour shifts and my week starts tonight.

Old 08-15-07, 02:55 PM
Sounds like my neighbors Cub Cadet with v-twin Briggs. Ended up replacing both ignition coils. He kept taking it back to his dealer and finally got to the coils after changing everything else. Runs good so far this year.

Old 08-15-07, 04:38 PM
Check your comprestion....

Old 08-15-07, 06:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The compression shouldn't be an issue here, since the mower was running good after the oil and spark plug change. I think, there is gas in the oil due to a leaking carb, or weak spark due to a bad coil. Check the oil level. Is it overfull? Smell like gas? If so, carb problem. From the info in your last post, this is what I'm inclined to think it is.