Craftsman Riding mower won't crank

Old 08-10-07, 11:34 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Craftsman Riding mower won't crank

I have recently acquired an old Craftsman (engine in the rear) riding lawmmower. It will not crank unless you touch a separate jumper wire to the two large post of the solenoid switch,then it will start and run fine. What do I need to do in order to start this mower with the switch key the regular way? Is the solenoid switch bad and how do I tell if it is?
I would appreciate any help on this problem.

Old 08-10-07, 02:13 PM
F
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
i would try maybe charging the battery with a trickle charger for 24 hours or using a jumper box and if it cranks with that then the battery needs charging.

Old 08-10-07, 04:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
If it cranks fine with the jumper, the battery should be fine. Do you have a voltmeter or test light? If so, check for voltage at the spade terminal on the solenoid while turning the key to start. If you have voltage there, the solenoid is bad. If you don't, there is another problem. If so, post back with the results of your testing and we'll go from there.

Old 08-11-07, 06:32 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If installed on your model, check to see if there is a loose wire on the kill switch. Many mower have a switch under the seat that shuts the engine down of you try to get up and dismount the mower with the engine running. I had one do this to me, turned out one of the wires got tangled and dislodged. I reattached and it fired up just fine.

Old 08-11-07, 09:08 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies

Thank you group for the help, Cheese you hit the nail on the head! The lawnmower is now starting correctly and running. It was the solenoid switch. I knew how to do, what you told me, but had just forgot. If I don't do it often, I forget. I had a solenoid switch from another mower and it was good.
Thanks again.

Old 08-11-07, 02:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Good to hear! Glad you got it and thanks for the update!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: