Murray 12hp rider mower PROBLEMS

Old 08-13-07, 05:28 PM
Cool Murray 12hp rider mower PROBLEMS

I got this for $50 and the battery was SHOT so i cleaned it up and im charging it as we speak.
But for $50 this mowers MINT i mean its nice but.....i have a power now jump starter and this thing wont start or do anything unless i put a screw driver on the two terminals (so there basically conected) and then it will turn over but it wont work when im using the ignition so i think that means something????
Any help would be nice....

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-07, 06:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Does it click or anything when you turn the key?
There should be a small wire going to the solenoid, (the thing with the terminals you are jumping with) check this wire for 12v with the key in the start position. If you have voltage, then the solenoid is likely bad.
If there is no voltage then you are not getting voltage through the switch. It could be a few things from a safety switch to a bad key switch, coroded terminals, bad wire..... etc.

You could also use a jumper wire from the positive side of the battery, and briefly jump it to the small terminal that the small wire connects to. If the starter engages, then the solenoid should be ok and one of the above problems is likely it.

Old 08-13-07, 08:11 PM
Does the key turn off the engine? Unhook the kill wire from the coil and see if the key will start it. However, without the kill wire, the key will not shut off the engine. Unhooking the kill wire will bypass all safety switches, but I think your problem is in the solenloid which is pretty cheap to replace.

Old 08-13-07, 08:18 PM
the mower dosent run so i dont know if the key would shut off the engine.
However i must add when i turn the key i get NO NOISE CLICKING SPARKS or anything yet when i jump it it will start.
I also want to let you know tomarrow im going to buy a key switch becuase the one thats on it is rusted and i use a screw driver to turn it because the key busted off inside,so i will let you all know what happens when i get a new key switch,if thats not the problem then i think it will probibly be the solinoid.......

Old 08-14-07, 02:33 AM
Be absolutely sure you purchase the correct key switch for your machine, don't buy just any lawn mower switch. You could fry your ignition system if you install the incorrect switch and I'll bet it is the switch that is to blame for your "no-spin" issue but it may be the solenoid.

Old 08-14-07, 07:25 PM
I ordered a key switch for it and it wil be here soon but in the meantime do you guys know how to fix a tire that i have.......this mower sat for a long while so several of the tires are off the rim can this be fixed?....and i also have a problem wit the stickers on it there peeling and im wanting to restore this to original condtion so do you know where i can get some new stickers?

Thanks

Old 08-15-07, 04:32 AM
It will be highly unlikely that you'll find any decals to return this mower to its original state of being. I'm not sure why you'd want to anyhow. If you post back with model number of the mower I can have a look into it for you. As well, I'll provide you with the correct part number for the key switch just to be sure you ordered the correct one. And as far as the tires go, I recommend taking each one off the mower and taking them to an automotive repair shop and have them inflate them with their high pressure compressed air. If, after you have them inflated, they still are leaking then you can install inner tubes in them.

Old 08-15-07, 08:09 AM
I ordered tghe switch and it is the right one i checked.
I think im just going to buy new tires as there are pretty shot and i got a good deal on some.

Old 08-15-07, 02:39 PM
Soadaman, I've been in your shoes wanting to fix up something to 'original' condition and make something out of $50....my words of advice are to start with the expensive stuff....get the motor going, get the transmission going , get the deck going and go from there. Make sure of what you have before sweating the little stuff.

Old 08-15-07, 04:07 PM
I agree on that and im going to get this working before i get the small stuff..

Old 08-15-07, 05:45 PM
New problem!!!
I need a air filter for this and i cant find any no. on it ive looked on ebay and i cant find it all it has is a indian and it says tecumechs and it has a N on one side of the filter i need some help here.....Thanks

Old 08-16-07, 05:21 AM
An auto parts store might have what you need, or post your engine numbers and someone can get you a part number for a new one.

Old 08-17-07, 04:06 PM
Okay ill get the enigine no.s tonight....
And i got a new problem (i think) this mower isnt running but if i have the brake depressed and the blades and deck disengaged it wont shift into any gear.....so i figued the mower has to be running to shift right?
But when it was turning over the mower would move but then i tied the brake down so it wouldnt move...

Old 08-17-07, 04:22 PM
You mean you can't move the shifter at all? You should be able to shift whether the engine is on or not. I would stop further repairs on this machine unless you have a junkyard full of parts to use because a new tranny would exceed the value of the tractor, not to mention that you haven't heard the engine run yet; it could have a terrible knock to it.
Just telling you what I'd do.

Old 08-17-07, 05:36 PM
um it will kida act like elastic (the shifter nob) i can pull it to the right with force but once i let go it will bounce back to the position it wass in so no it wont go into any gears.
but i dont think its the rear end i think its the cble or somthing because when im jump starting it it will move (the whole mower) and it will keep moving unless i press the brake.....

Old 08-17-07, 05:58 PM
I would tackle one at a time and see what you have. Isolate the motor from the works by removing the belts from the bottom of the engine. Sounds like you have a belt from engine to trans that will not release and/or a trans that is stuck in a gear. There seems to be alot of issues going on here so please post as many numbers as you can find. Folks here are more than glad to help but so far with the info you have posted I'm with msidan on his last post. Like I said earlier, see what you have before dealing with the small stuff....if you have a crap transmission or something else major your 'air filter' is small stuff.

Old 08-17-07, 06:02 PM
Well yes i do know that...
also i know it will start (just was jump starting it and it was starting but i stoped) because i dont know how to shut it off if i do get it started. Remember theres no ignition im starting it by doing it stright from the starter and a ground battery cable....

Old 08-17-07, 09:13 PM
What kind of tranny is this? If it's a five or six speed manual like I'm guessing (with the shifter set up in a semi-circle in front of your lap), then the bolt that connects the shifter arm to the tranny may be loose and causing the "elastic" behavior. If so, you should be able to reach underneath and shift directly at the tranny (just to see if it shifts at all)

Old 08-18-07, 12:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like it was kept outdoors and rained on. Like water ran down the shifter and into the case, rusting the shifter in place. This mower is sounding more and more like one for the boneyard. Give the deck a good look from the underside to make sure it doesn't have holes rusted in it. That's a common problem on these. You might be able to work the shifter enough to get it to shift. If not, you'll have to open up the tranny and repair. I'd check the engine before doing that. Then you have the electrical problems, bad battery, probable belt problems, possibly bad bearings in the deck, maybe blades, etc... until this isn't worth it. Give it a good once over. Don't focus on each tiny problem at a time...take a look at the big picture before you spend good money after bad.

Old 08-18-07, 06:01 AM
Why would someone sell, for $50, a "mint" tractor that needed only a few minor repairs? I always ask why the people are selling when I buy a used tractor and if they say something like "we got a new one", well, you don't replace a tractor thats in excellent condition just because you felt like spending $1000+ on a new one.

I've been in those same shoes that goose mentioned (as some of the members probably know), sometimes with much more than $50 and ended up learning an expensive lesson.

Old 08-18-07, 07:39 AM
The bolt for the shifter conecting to the tranny is loose. So i will tighten it and see it think thats the problem too. Its a five speed manual trans with the shifter in a semi-circle in front of my lap.
Also i really yanked on it yesterday and the shifter is now closer to the 2 then it was before so ill tighten that up and see.

Msidan:I agree with you 100% i dont know anyone that will replace a tractor because they want to spend that kind of money. Just dosent happen just dosent hapen.

This was a ''Sorry no pictures'' ''Ran when it was parked'' kinda deal.I told him to bring it to me paied him and thats it.He didnt say how long ago it was parked nor did he say anything much about it.

Cheese: The deck is really sound no holes but there is some bad rust in a few spots.
I would like to get the deck looking nice again after i finish the mower but im not going to use the deck as i need this for hauling stuff around.

Two things i will do for you guys today is post the engine no.s and modle if i can find it and i will tighten up the bolt and tell you what has happened.

Thanks for all the help!

Old 08-18-07, 08:15 AM
Heres The numbers.
Modle of the mower is 9-38600
Date it was made is 0349
the isnt a numbe i can see on the engine because half the stickers down by the sparkplug witch i cant get to unless i get teh front cover off (grill) so heres what it says.
Extra life
I/C engine Overhead valve with ultra balance
It has
Cast iorn sleeve
Extra life bearings
Oil pump lubercation
Stellite Exahust valve
Electronic ignition
Multi stage air filter
By the way the engines fine i got it to run for like 1 minute and it ran perfect no knocks.
So now i wnat to focus on this tranny......

Old 08-18-07, 05:58 PM
Just wanted to make sure you know what you're getting into because it sounds like this is your first time messing with a riding mower.

Good luck with it,
Dan

Old 08-18-07, 07:34 PM
Fixed it it runs and drives fine now just need tires and all the cosmetic stuff.