Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman 6.5 HP Eager-1 mower

08-15-07, 11:35 PM   #1  
Craftsman 6.5 HP Eager-1 mower

The pull start cable snapped. Where can I get a replacement part and how do I take the mower apart to fix it? I've lost the manual and dandelions are invading my yard.

Sponsored Links

MI

08-16-07, 01:25 AM   #2  
can you post the model number its on the frame.

08-16-07, 01:49 PM   #3  
Model No. 944.362630
It's a 6.25 HP 21" Mulcher

I may just have to take it to a repair shop if I can't figure out how to do it myself. My husband's no handyman.

FL

08-16-07, 03:33 PM   #4  
When you say 'pull start cable' are you talking about the pull rope (rope you pull to start the motor) or is there an actual cable that snapped? I tried putting your model number in the Sears website but it says it does not exist. Are you sure that number is right? I would need to see a parts diagram to help more so check that model number. Neither the rope or a cable is hard to replace so don't run to the shop just yet.

NY

08-16-07, 05:54 PM   #5  
Sorry, I can't find such a model prefix either and I don't know if your machine being from Canada has an impact on our lookup here in the States. I did try the Canadian Sears site but found no way to look up parts like we can here in the States. If you, indeed, have a starter rope issue and not a control cable issue then you won't need to know the chassis numbers necessarily and I know the engine will have the ID numbers that will then help us help you out just fine. Look on the engine for its ID numbers and post back. And let us know if you have a rope or control cable issue.

08-17-07, 01:56 PM   #6  
It's the starter rope. The engine model no. is 143.026202. Engine family is 2TPXS.1951BC.
I guess the other model no. is just for the frame.
It does have a label from Sears Canada, but it says it's Made in USA.

NY

08-18-07, 06:13 PM   #7  
I came up empty on the engine ID number as well but, this rewind starter should come off rather easily by way of two small screws holding the assembly to the blower shroud. You can then work on this on a bench and it is fairly easy to service. Bear in mind that the starter spring is under a good deal of pressure and could be dangerous and if you've never worked on one before you should consider taking the starter, alone, to a service shop and have them service it. If you need just a new rope then you can do this without having to disect the starter. Look it over and if you have any questions post back once the starter is off the engine.

CO

08-19-07, 11:22 AM   #8  
parts list

I referenced his engine number to this number LEV120-361119D which will take you to this site where you can down load PDF parts picture and list.

http://landscapepower.com/tecumseh-partslist-pages/tecumseh_PDF_86.html

Hope this helps.

Roy

08-19-07, 03:14 PM   #9  
Thanks all of you for your input. It's much appreciated. This is a great forum!

08-21-07, 05:31 PM   #10  
To Puey61,

The starter is off the engine. There's some rope stuck in the starter. It had frayed and snapped. I have a replacement rope, but now need to know how to wind it up. The Sears outlet didn't have a manual. Or do you recommend taking it in to service, as the spring could be dangerous?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-21-07, 07:13 PM   #11  
Get the old rope out, wind up the rope spool in the direction it would turn when you pull the rope to start it. Wind it up all the way, then back it up one turn and line up the hole in the spool with the hole in the metal cover. Feed the new rope through the spool and out the metal cover. Tie a knot in the spool end (it doesn't hurt to do this before starting). Let the spring loaded spool wind up the rope until it is full, then tie the handle on the other end.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread