Leaky fitting at fuel pump

Old 08-17-07, 12:28 PM
Leaky fitting at fuel pump

It is a Briggs 252400 family engine. The fittings at the fuel pump are pressed in and came out when I was removing the hoses. After I put them back in one of the fittings is leaking slightly however even a slight leak is too much for me. I was wondering if there is a sealer I can apply to the fitting before I insert it into the pump. I was thinking JB Weld or maybe even super glue or loctite red. The fitting appears to be white metal and so does the part of the fuel pump where the fitting goes. Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-07, 02:55 PM
I like JB weld for this type of repair, of course once you put them in with JB you will not be able to get them out again.

Old 08-18-07, 06:00 PM
In a metal to metal joining, I like the red Loctite provided the clearances aren't excessive between the two parts. Much less Loctite is required than JBWeld and you don't take the chance of the Weld covering/blocking the fuel passageway. Honestly, though, a replacement fuel pump for this is generally inexpensive and may make more sense to replace than to repair.

Old 08-20-07, 06:09 AM
The fuel pump for this engine is $59.99. The repair kit was $29.99. I thought both prices were ridiculous. I tried the super glue and it is holding fine for now. I cut grass in our back field which is somewhat bumpy and it held fine. If the leak starts again, I would try the red loctite then the jb weld. I have used both in the past and had terrific success with both.