Too lean cylinder scoring?

Old 08-17-07, 03:42 PM
Too lean cylinder scoring?

I was tuning my McCulloch hedge trimmer when it abruptly stopped running. I think I may have leaned it out too much under full throttle/no load. Adding fuel through the spark plug hole gets a little action, but that's it. I was told to check the cylinder wall through the exhaust port for scoring. There are some faint vertical scores that I can't tell if they are deep enough even to be through the depth of the cross-hatch. However, there is one vertical line that is clearly what I would consider deep, like maybe if I had it apart I could feel it rubbing my finger nail across it.

Is this something that would decrease my compression enough to prevent fuel from traveling through the transfer channel, or the diaphragm from pulling fuel?

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Gary

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-07, 07:50 PM
Smile

I would first check the compression with a gauge,it should be a least 90# or better to run,if so check for spark.Hope this helps.

Jerry

Old 08-18-07, 05:55 PM
Some cylinder designs have a vertical "port" related to the transfer ports that are similar to your description, so, what you're seeing may be this. But, it may not. It's hard to say without actually seeing it first hand so, as jsouth suggested, go with a compression test and see what you get.

Old 08-19-07, 09:52 AM
I'll give the compression check a try. It is getting spark. And, I was aware of the vertical port but never having seen one I'm not sure if that's what I'm seeing. I'll also try taking it to someone who would recognize if its a port or a score.

Thanks you guys,

Gary