Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Bigger Wheels for old Craftsman Rider

08-17-07, 09:15 PM   #1  
Bigger Wheels for old Craftsman Rider

I'm hoping to upgrade to larger rear wheels for an old, previously junked and salvaged Craftsman Riding Mower (502.254172). Stock wheel parts number is 91632E601. They fit onto a slotted/square keyed axle (Peerless Differential Model 143.100-055A++). I don't know how to weld so I want to find something that'll slip on the existing axle.

Any suggestions???

See our project at: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2270210243679947996

Thanks,
michael

Sponsored Links

TN

08-17-07, 09:37 PM   #2  
I'd suggest getting some 8" rims... as there are plenty of 4 wheeler tires that will work with them. Your tractor should have 3/4" axles with 1/4" keys. Provided this is the case (measure before looking for wheels) you should have no problems finding rims that will fit.

NY

08-18-07, 05:45 PM   #3  
Actually, the keyway will be 3/16" and is common on most all lawn tractors with only a few exceptions. Apparently, this will no longer be an operable lawn mower and more a toy, right? I'd then recommend going with larger front wheels as well. These will be wheels that are either bushed or bearinged and will be, typically, either 5/8" or 3/4" shaft and, again, quite common and easy to find. Most front wheels will accept a bushing or bearing that you can find in any number of different ID's and find one to fit your spindle shaft diameter. Any other mods you want to do that we can help with?

08-18-07, 08:16 PM   #4  
Bigger Wheels and other mods

Thanks guys. You're right that the key is 3/16" not a 1/4" (according to my service manual). Here's a link for the parts: http://www3.sears.com/Paul/Leadimage.asp?productTypeID=1509200&brandID=0247&modelDesc=LAWN%20MOWER&modelNumber=502254172&documentID=00048109&documentTypeID=PLDM&documentClassCode=PM&titleType=DRIVE%20SYSTEM&titleID=00003&

As for mods, as I mentioned this was a junker that one of my sons noticed and made me bring home to play with. We've stripped off anything not necessary, improved the gear ratio from an 8-tooth to a 12-tooth sprocket, took apart the carb and other stuff, and just recently painted it (with fire accents no less).

Other than extra paint, the only investment I put into this project was that $25 sprocket. Given that, I want to speed up the tractor as cheaply as possible. So, in looking for new wheels and tires, I'm looking for the least expensive way to do this.

Any suggestions where I can find what sounds like (larger but) "standard" wheels and tires? If you have any specific places, websites, or model numbers, that'd be much appreciated.

Do you think the rear wheels will fit up front? If so, that'd be cool.

Also, if there are other mods you think my sons and I would enjoy, that'd be great.

Thanks again!
michael

TN

08-19-07, 12:58 AM   #5  
Thanks Puey, don't know what I'm thinking

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

08-19-07, 08:04 AM   #6  
Puey made a significant point with his question, "Is this to be a toy and not used as a mower"?
With bigger tires you will likely not even be able to attach the mowing deck as the tires may hit the deck. It will also throw off any kind of "Level" of the deck and likely not mow ascetically.

FYI

FL

08-19-07, 08:44 AM   #7  
I can't help you with where to find wheels but for everyone else following this thread.....check out his video on google...the url is in the first post and you won't ask questions about being able to replace the deck....I think this is a toy (and not a bad idea.....)

08-19-07, 12:19 PM   #8  
Bigger Wheels and other Mods on this "Toy"

Yup... it's a toy, or perhaps an educational experience for my sons. Check out some photos at: http://picasaweb.google.com/mheitt/RacingMower

I'm particularly proud out the paint job (done for under $4.00). Here's the link to the video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2270210243679947996

So bigger wheels in the back will make it go faster, right? I just got some PB Blaster to see if I can get the wheels off (I couldn't before with WD40 and a hammer). Anything in particular I should be careful about?

Any other ideas about what we can do to this thing? My sons "helped" me rebuild the carb and are learning about engines and stuff along the way.

Thanks,
michael

NY

08-19-07, 02:44 PM   #9  
Your paint job looks great although I would suggest painting the wheels too when you have the final ones on.
I don't think you will get the rear wheels on the front because, just from the pics, it looks like the larger tires would hit the foot plates when you make a turn.

NY

08-20-07, 03:57 AM   #10  
I'll bet you have room for 18 X 8.5 - 8 tires (and wheels) and probably get the same size tires onto the front that you now have on the rear (15 X 6.00 - 6) only you'll need rims (wheels) to go with the tires to fit up to the front spindles, which looks to be 5/8" shafts, by the way. Also, I see you have a broken muffler bolt, you should get this repaired, if reasonable (I'll bet this bolt is broken off in the block and you can't get it out) by way of running the engine to full operating temperature and then attempting to remove the broken bolt. Or, if the bolt is recessed then you should consider a screw extractor or possibly drilling and installing a new set of threads (I like Recoil brand). Also, you can change your output ratio by changing the engine pulley to a bigger pulley and/or installing a smaller trans input pulley. Of course, you'll have to change the belting to go with the different pulleys. Have fun and be safe.

NY

04-12-08, 04:02 PM   #11  
Posted By: mheitt I'm hoping to upgrade to larger rear wheels for an old, previously junked and salvaged Craftsman Riding Mower (502.254172). Stock wheel parts number is 91632E601. They fit onto a slotted/square keyed axle (Peerless Differential Model 143.100-055A++). I don't know how to weld so I want to find something that'll slip on the existing axle.

Any suggestions???

See our project at: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...10243679947996

Thanks,
michael

Hey my name is Dylan Vitti and i have the same exact lawnmower model 502.254172 as you do. I am looking for a rear differential and sprocket as a repair. If you have any idea where to get one (because the sprocket has been discontinued) please contact me email, or just reply back.
Thank you,
-Dylan

Last edited by cheese; 04-13-08 at 12:39 AM. Reason: removed email address

04-12-08, 07:45 PM   #12  
sorry

would like to see what you've done with it, but I'm sorry to say I don't know where you can get those parts. Ironically I have considered posting a question as I can't seem to get my tractor started up. I think its something electrical.

Good luck.
michael

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

CA

04-15-08, 12:08 AM   #13  
Chevy Rims

i suggest you should replace it with bigger chevy rims that compatible to your car.

Moderators note: I removed the commercial link from your post. First of all, this is not a car, or an auto forum. Second, unauthorized promoting of outside commercial websites is not allowed on this forum.

Last edited by cheese; 04-15-08 at 12:52 AM.

Search this Thread