starting problem

Old 08-18-07, 06:31 PM
starting problem

Have a swisher zero turn tractor.I had just cut grass yesterday,today rinsed it off ,now it won't start. Could water have broken my tractor?? please help...

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-07, 07:06 PM
Check if the air filter is wet,if so...try to dry it out with compressed air.Dry out the spark plug boots.Let us know the results.

Old 08-18-07, 07:21 PM
eveything dry,still no go....

Old 08-18-07, 08:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Was it hot when you rinsed it? Cold water on a hot engine can crack the heads, warp them, and cause other problems. Make sure the engine has cooled before spraying water on it.

Have you checked for spark?

Old 08-18-07, 08:21 PM
I didn't rinse it off till today.And no,i don't have a spark..changed out plug and still nothing...I am getting fuel to the carb..what else could it be?? I mean it was running fine yesterday.

Old 08-18-07, 08:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's probably a safety switch then. Check the park brake and whatever safeties that must be engaged for it to start. Put the brake on and off a few times to cycle the switch. There may be moisture in it.

Old 08-18-07, 08:49 PM
This tractor has no brake,just a lever on the steering wheel that engages the drive belt....up to go and down to stop. and the only safety switches that I know is the switch under the seat,to stop the engine if the blades are running if you try to get off the tractor.

Old 08-20-07, 04:32 AM
This should have a Briggs engine but regardless, you should find a junction block on the engine where the ignition coil kill wire joins up with the chassis' circuit. Remove all wires except the coil kill wire and see what happens. NOTE that you will be unable to shut the tractor off unless you pull the spark plug wire off the spark plug using an insulated set of pliers or use a jumper wire from the junction block (coil wire) to a ground point. If you now have spark and the engine runs then you will have a chassis kill circuit in need of diagnosing. If no spark then you need to remove the engine's blower shroud, remove the kill wire from the ignition coil, check for proper coil to magnet clearance and then check for spark. If no spark now then you will have a failed ignition coil. If spark, then you have a bare kill wire or a clearance that is way off. I believe that you will find a faulty seat switch though.

Old 08-20-07, 08:05 PM
Man, after two days of trying to start this thing, finally LIFE. It was the safety switch under the seat. How funny is that. I just happened to hold the seat down to get leverage while pulling the rope,and waalaa.... The funny thing is that I never had to have seat pressed down in order to get it started while pulling the rope. Why is it NOW the seat has to be making the switch??

By the way, I just happened to swap out starters from an MTD tractor that no longer runs. Its from a 12 hp b&s. My question is,does it make a difference if I put the starter from the MTD to MY Swisher 8hp B&S. It looked identical,the bracket ligned up with the block and everything. But when I turn the key, the starter gear just shoots up to crank the engine,but just stops and gets stuck. It's like it doesn't have enough power to turn the engine over. Could it be that the battery has a low charge? Or is it the starter thats no good? THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!!!!!!

Old 08-21-07, 11:58 AM
12 hp b&s

[QUOTE=jsua96;By the way, I just happened to swap out starters from an MTD tractor that no longer runs. Its from a 12 hp b&s. My question is,does it make a difference if I put the starter from the MTD to MY Swisher 8hp B&S. It looked identical,the bracket ligned up with the block and everything. But when I turn the key, the starter gear just shoots up to crank the engine,but just stops and gets stuck. It's like it doesn't have enough power to turn the engine over. Could it be that the battery has a low charge? Or is it the starter thats no good? THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!!!!!![/QUOTE]

B4 you go out and buy a starter that you might not need.....Test the battery with an ohem metter to make sure its putting out between 12-12.75 volts.Then check it again with a load metter to see if its holding the charge.
If so check the valve clearances.If not anything then, jump the starter directly from the battery.If everything works as it should then,you'll know that the problem is the compresson Release inside the engine,on the cam gear.

Old 08-22-07, 04:27 AM
There must be a parking brake, the government wouldn't allow someone to start a mower with the possibility of a roll-along at manual start up of an engine. As for the starter issue, post back with the engines' ID numbers (model, type and code) from each engine and I'll check if they're compatible with one another.