B&s Engine Leaking Oil

Old 08-18-07, 08:34 PM
Red face B&s Engine Leaking Oil

I've Got A B&s Engine On A Troybilt Chipper. On Last Use I Noticed That It Was Smoking Around The Engine. Upon Observing To Find The Source Of The Smoke I Found That The Smoke Was Actually Appearing To Come From The Transmission Drive Belt Because The Entire Area Apppeared Wetted With Oil. Nevertheless I Could Not See Where The Oil Was Coming From. I Presume That Its Coming From A Compromised Seal Around The Crank/drive Shaft. I'll Appreciate Any Advice As To How To Absolutely Determine The Source Of The Leak And If It Is The Shaft Seal, How To Fix It. Is There An Oil Additive Option As A Short Term Solution? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-07, 11:07 PM
post the model & serial #'s where we look your unit up and can tell/see what you've got and we'll be more apt to give you info that is correct and that you can use.

Old 08-20-07, 04:17 AM
A crankcase vacuum test will help in determining where you have a leak at such area. Probably, though, the best way to find an oil leak is to thoroughly clean the entire area and run the engine and visually check for leakage of oil. I'll bet you have a PTO oil seal that is leaking and you would then have to remove the engine to replace such. Once the engine is off the chassis you then can use a seal removal tool (Tecumseh (small engine manufacturer) makes a nice set of seal pullers) and replace with a new one using a seal installation too (again, Tecumseh makes good ones). Or, if no tools are available or wanted, you can do such by the old fashioned means and remove the base plate, pry out the old seal and tap in a new one.